chapter nineteen .

angelite.

THE HOURS PASSED WITHOUT A WORD, and Matilda could tell the crowd was restless and becoming increasingly anxious. Fleur had been first to be extracted, followed by Krum, which left only Harry and Cedric to compete for the cup. Matilda's anxieties worsened each time she heard a creature roar or saw the winds shift as the maze moved.

"I don't feel good," Matilda muttered. Bill glanced over to her, frowning. "Something bad's going to happen. I can feel it."

"Tilda, I'm it will be fine." Bill gave a squeeze to her hand which neither had moved. "It's a moving maze, I'm not surprised it's taking this long. And they have the creatures, too."

"But Fleur and Krum came out so quick, and now it's so... quiet." Matilda chewed on her bottom lip. "It's frightening."

Bill could understand what Matilda was saying. He was worried for Cedric and Harry, too, though he didn't wish to show it and make Matilda even more anxious than she already was. He took a deep breath and slowly began to trace a circle on the back of Matilda's hand. After having to pretend to be her boyfriend for the time they were fake-dating, and being her friend for longer, Bill had managed to figure out a few ways to calm her nerves. Appreciative of his efforts, Matilda glanced over and offered him the best smile she could muster, which was weak, but he knew what she was trying to convey.

There was a flash of light, pulling everone's attention to the grass in front of the maze. Two figures on the grass, and the crowd erupted into cheers. Everyone stood from their seats, clapping and cheering, and the band began to play. Even Molly Weasley, who had been incredibly quiet the entire time.

"Something's not right," Matilda spoke suddenly, her gaze also on the boys, but focused on the immobile one that Harry crouched over. "Bill, something's happened."

Bill knew, already. He wanted to tell someone to get down there and stop the celebration, but he couldn't speak. It was a scream from Fleur Delacour that finally managed to get ohers' attention. Dumbledore was first to Harry, trying to pull him off.

Matilda realised Cedric hadn't moved at all. Her face fell to and expression of horror, shock, fear. She squeezed Bill's hand.

"Bill, is he... is Cedric?" She did't want to utter the foul word that lingered on the tip of her tongue.

The crowd had gone silent as the minister, other officials, and those already on the grass surrounded Harry and Cedric's body. A cold feeling washed over the stands. Matilda noticed a disturbance to her left and turned her head. It was Amos Diggory, the man she first met at the Quidditch World Cup, the father to the boy now dead. Matilda's heart sank deep. Her mouth dried up as she watched him push past the people.

"That's my son!" Amos cried. His voice sent chills down Matilda's spine, and the spines of everyone. "That's my boy!" He continued to weep over Cedric, managing to let out a cry of pure anguish as Dumbledore stayed by his side.

"Bill, we should go," Molly spoke in a quiet voice, her words wavering with each syllable.

"Mum?" Bill turned to his mother, frowning.

"Bill, we're going." Molly's voice was much more stern now as she looked at her son. "There are certain things that we have to take care of." She looked over to Matilda. "I'm sorry, Matilda, but we have to go."

"I need to, as well," Matilda spoke, her eyes still transfixed or the heart-shattering scene still playing out before everyone. She looked over to Bill, then glanced at their hands, and finally let go. "I'll see you later."

Bill could only nod. Molly dragged him down the stands, where her other children were. Matilda watched. Now she looked away from Amos she didn't want to look back. She sucked in a breath, fixed her glasses, and made heaste to get out of the stands, out of the arena, to Hogsmeade where she knew she could apparate back home. 

MATILDA WAS A MESS THE MOMENT HER HEAD STOPPED SPINNING, and her Aunt was quick to react. Matilda nearly collapsed to the ground, the tears she'd been fighting for so long finally surfacing. Her aunt rushed from the couch, steadynig the younger woman and leading her to the dining table.

"Matilda? Matilda, what happened?" Her aunt queried, rubbing her back with slow circles.

"Cedric, he was, he was... He was just a boy, and," Matilda couldn't make sense, but her aunt automatically knew what Matilda was trying to get out. She shushed the girl softly, patting her back, now. "Mr Diggory. It was terrifying. It was heartbreaking." Matilda let out another shuddering sob. "Cedric was killed."

"Okay, okay. How about you sit here, control your breathing. In and out, remember, slow, controlled."

Matilda wanted to laugh at the last word. She wasn't in control, she was shaking unbearably, tears poured down her face and her ears kept replaying the scream of Amos Diggory's pain at losing his one and only beloved son. She knew the pain of losing someone you loved, someone that was family, and she never wished for anyone else to have to feel it, too. But Amos was not so lucky, anymore.

"Matilda." That was Jacob's voice. Their aunt paused at the kettle she'd moved to to make tea, slowly turning her head to the boy emerging from his room for the first time that day. "I'm sorry."

He pulled out the chair beside his sister. Matilda continued to stare through teary eyes at the tabletop. His hand came to her shoulder in a tentative fashion.

"I'm so glad you weren't there to see it, Jacob," Matilda whimpered, turning her head to his direction. "I hope you never have to see something like that again."

Jacob didn't speak. He didn't need to. His chair shuffling closer and the head he laid on her shoulder wasn't foreign anymore. The comfort he provided was the same she gave to him when they were kids, when they had lost their parents. Their positions were the same, the roles reversed. It was Matilda's turn to be the fragile sibling, to bask in the comfort her brother provided.

"Don't go back to Egypt." Jacob whispered. "Please."

Matilda didn't speak, she didn't make a promise. She had no idea what lay ahead, and that terrified her more than anything. Matilda sniffled and rested her head on top of Jacob's. She didn't want to go back either, but she knew she had no choice, for now. At least she could hold on to this temporary feeling of being stationary for the time being.

"Please, Matilda."