chapter twenty eight .

apophyllite .

"OH, YOU HAVE TO BE SHITTING ME." Matilda was startled awake by the sound of a thump from within the living room. Even half-asleep, Matilda already knew this voice wasn't Bill's. "Hello? Matilda? Bill? Anyone home?"

Matilda let out a soft groan, rolling over, allowing herself a moment of reprieve from the sunlight coming through Bill's curtains. However, she did not receive peace from the individual within their apartment, as the voice called out again. Annoyed from being awoken, Matilda glanced at the clock on the bedside table, at 5:30 AM; she pushed herself upwards, fully intent on scolding the intruder. Matilda felt Bill's warm arms slip from her torso, inviting a chill and goosebumps to arise on her skin, but she tried not to pay any mind to the temptation of returning to bed.

"Tilly," Bill's early-morning murmur pushed her desire to lay back down, but she attempted her hardest not to allow his unknowingly attractive behaviour to win her over. "Mmh, where are you going?"

"Visitor," Matilda replied, casting a glance at him. Then, the voice called out to them again as if on schedule. "It'll just be a minute."

"Good. You're going to leave me cold if you stay away too long," Bill's eyes cracked open, and he smiled up at her, tired, but in a cheeky fashion.

"As if you're not a human heater." Matilda jokingly scoffed and finally arose from the bed. After spending the past few months gradually migrating to his room, Matilda had become used to the heat the redhead radiated from his body.

"I know you're here!" The voice called out in almost exasperation, with the subtlest hint of mocking. As she became more aware of her surroundings, the voice calling for the pair grew more familiar.

"Yes, yes," Matilda sighed deeply, snatching her glasses from the bedside table, "Coming!"

Emerging from Bill's bedroom, hair messed, and barely half-awake, Matilda didn't expect to see the individual currently standing in their living room. The person gave her a once-over and then pointed a hand at Matilda's torso.

"Nice rabbits." Matilda glanced down at her shirt to see the pink shirt with two white rabbits and let out an audible groan at the second embarrassing moment due to the piece. "I'm guessing Bill's still in bed?" Jacob glanced behind Matilda, then returned his attention to her, only to screw up his face. "I didn't... interrupt you... did I?"

Matilda merely blinked at her brother. Then her expression shifted into one displaying only horror. "Merlin's Beard! Jacob! No! No, no, no!"

Matilda's face burned. Jacob cracked up, unable to hide the laughter that erupted from his chest, escaping from his mouth and his half-obscured face contorted to show his amusement. She covered her heated face with her hands, only peering through to see her brother continuing to snort and laugh at her reaction. Something in her felt joyful at seeing a genuinely happy response from her brother, even if he still bore a hooded and otherwise dark outfit and shaggy curls of dark hair.

"Tilda?"

The woman removed her hands, offering Bill a smile in greeting as he dragged his feet to the place beside the girl. His hand on her waist was almost instant, practically a subconscious action of greeting for the woman. He let out a soft yawn, blinking tiredly as his brain worked to recall the name of the male in front of him.