Eleven Years Part 1

A/N: So! Slight spoiler, in this oneshot, Sophie and Keefe are married, yeah, their last name is Sencen... I like Sophie Sencen better than Keefe Foster... :)

Don't worry, I know Keefe doesn't like his last name, but DEAL WITH IT!!! :)

Other thing, this oneshot is in a POV that is not third person, it's the one that has all the 'I' in it, I didn't mention whose POV it was 'cause I didn't want to spoil it further!

Ships in the multi part oneshot are: Sokeefe, Tiana, Lylie

On to the story!

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

I sighed, pulling on a cape over my gremlin costume and clasping it with my Sencen crest.

It was the Foxfire opening ceremonies today, and I was to be there for the first time as a Level One.

I should have been excited, but well, I wasn't.

I absolutely hated huge gatherings like this. Not that I hated my friends, but being in huge crowds just made me feel... Insecure.

Maybe I got it from both my parents, who according to my mom, both had lived a crazy life before they finally settled down together.

I bit my lip and glanced at my favourite picture in its frame on my bedside table.

It was my parents' wedding photo. A smaller version of the one hung in my parents' room.

My dad, Keefe Sencen, was standing in the Havenfield pastures, his arm wrapped around my mom's waist.

I had my dad's ice blue eyes and artfully mussed blonde hair.

In the picture, he was grinning like a maniac, a mischievous glint in his eyes. One that my mom told me I had as well.

My mom, Sophie ex-Foster, now Sencen, had her hands on my dad's shoulders.

Both were smiling as if there was no end to the world.

I'd never seen my mom that happy before.

"Kenric!" She shouted from downstairs. "You ready? We have to leave soon!"

"Okay, got it!" I yelled back.

Yeah. My mom named me Kenric. After the councillor that died saving her from Everblaze.

I walked down the stairs and nearly slipped a few times. In my defense, the silk padded feet of my gremlin costume on the marble floor, didn't cause a lot of friction.

Then again, my Uncle Dex always said I had my mom's inelegance. Thanks a lot, Mom.

She smiled as I walked towards her.

She bent down and swept my blonde hair out of my ice blue eyes, kissing my forehead.

"Look how grown up you are," she said, pretending to wipe tears from her eyes.

"Mom!" I protested.

"Fine!" She laughed. Her smile faded.

"Your father would be so proud of you," she whispered. "You know that, right?"

I swallowed a lump in my throat and nodded.

Gathering up my courage, I asked, "So... Dad liked gremlins?"

Mom forced a smile. "Dad liked gulons," she corrected.

"Come on," she gently pulled me to the Leapmaster.

I knew she was trying. We all were.

And I knew Dad couldn't possibly be proud of me. He died when I was a baby.