is this a date?

you are working you last hour of your 8 hour shift at the hospital when you get a call from an unknown number.

"hello? who's this"
"what?! oh i forgot you don't have my number yet."
"lemme guess matthew?"
"you guesses right."
"so what's up gube?
"well we wrapped early on set and i was wondering if you wanted to go out tonight."
"i would love to. i get off at 6 so if you want to swing by the hospital then or you could wait like 30 minutes and get me from my apartment so i won't be wearing scrubs."
"i'll pick you up from you apartment then. just next me the address."

you feel your heat explode. you get called down to the conference room to help on a case and when you walk in your resident sees your face and she knows what it means.

"so y/n who's the lucky person"
"dr. cetone how did you know"
"i know the smile of someone in love when i see it. i've been around long enough to know"
"it's this really nice guy names matthew we met a few days ago at this dinner my cousin hosted."
"well have fun but not too much fun i can't have my best intern out."

you finish your consult and race home.

once you get home you realize 'i have no idea how to dress because i have no idea what we are doing.' so you text  matthew

gube

hey gube

what's up y/n

do you have anything specific
planned because i have no
idea how to dress like i don't
want to pull up to a back tie
event in jeans but i also don't
want to pull up to in n out
in an evening gown.

regular day to day clothes
is fine but you might want to
bring a change just in case.

okay  i'm going to trust
you to not murder me

you put on a  fitted crop top and some high rise jeans with some chucks and some light makeup. you get a call that says he's down stairs. you set your alarm and lock the door behind you.

you get in his car and he smiles at you and you heart just grows 3 sizes. he's wearing a super colorful sweater, his hair is units natural unruly brown locks, and the most adorable glasses.

i can't help but wonder is this a date or are we just friends that made out? he turned on the radio and we sang along together and the time was just passing by so quickly.

we pulled into a parking lot at santa monica pier and he took out a blanket and a basket from his trunk. we took off our shoes and made our way to the shoreline. he laid the blanket down and you both sat down.

"you know ever since lacy park i can't get you out of my head. like when i was on set earlier all i could think about was your because eyes, your soft hands, you warm lips, just everything."

you wanted to say something but all you could do was smile and look down. you were way too awkward to respond in words so you got up, took him by the hand and made your way over to the water.

you rolled up your jeans and walked into the water.

"hey gube"
"yea"
"did you bring a change of clothes"
"yea??"
"good"

as soon as he had answered you pushed him into the water but not before he could grab you. you two are stung by how cold the january beach water was.

you two make your way back to the blanket and dry off. you run to the bathroom to change into your other clothes and come back out.

"didn't realize that it was going to be this cold"
"here have my sweater"
"thanks"

'he gave me his sweater' you can't help but smile at the idea of it.

you two make it back onto the pier and get funnel cake because it wouldn't be a trip to the beach without funnel cake.

both of you go back to the car and he drives you back to your apartment. the question of was this a date is still drifting in your head.

"so gube was this a date date or just a friendly outing?
"i don't know y/n you seem like an amazing person and i- i kinda want it to be one"
"cool then i guess it was a date then"
"was? the night is still young ya know"
"i know but i have a 6 am shift tomorrow morning but i would love to do this again."

you both lean in for a kiss and when your lips collide your whole body lights up and you can feel him light up too.

"hey matthew?"
"yes" he says breathlessly
"would you like to come up?"
"very much"