.29.

I caught a whiff of whiskey on his breath as Gray strode up to my desk. It made him more reckless, more forbidden, more sensual, and even more dangerous than before. I couldn't be anywhere near him without my heart erupting into a shallow gallop. 

"You were incredible today," he said, curling his lips into a derisive smile that soured my insides. "The clients were especially dazzled."

"Thanks," I gulped, shifting in my chair to try and block the package of underpants on the floor. "You too."

Gray's eyes tightened at the corners as he ran his tongue over his bottom lip, the same way a serpent tasted the air before it struck.

"That one guy from Microsoft really seemed to respond to your ideas. What was his name? Matthew?" he inquired, barely audible venom tinging his tone. "Maybe he can help you get over, or under, the hump."

"Gross, Gray," I wrinkled my nose. "No thank you, please."

Why did Gray think this was a conversation I wanted to have with him? Or in any way appropriate? It was as if he were trying to accuse me of making do-me-eyes at a client, which was super insulting in and of itself.

His comment felt much more like the old Gray, the one I wanted nothing to do with whatsoever. His expressive eyes had grown darker, foreshadowing the fight he was trying to pick.

"Huh," he bobbed his head in mock contemplation. "I thought preppy, all-American-looking assholes like Matthew and Eli were your type?" 

"I thought you said you didn't want to fight with me anymore," I lobbed back, pressing my mouth into a thin line.

"Touché," Gray's gloomy chuckle couldn't obscure the choke in his throat as his invisible armor slipped away.

We eyed each other pensively, neither willing to cede ground since we'd only just reached neutral territory.

I don't know how much time passed. I was too busy getting lost in the way he looked at me.

Gray always seemed so self-assured, oozing the kind of charisma that puts someone like me on their guard. At that moment, however, he looked about as exposed and lost as I felt. Something intangible had changed between us, forever altering the way we saw the other.

"Do you want to talk about what happened the other night?" I asked after what seemed like too long.

My thoughts were chaotic, and yet, I was exhausted. I was so, so tired of lugging around my emotional baggage. I wanted to unpack and unburden my life, not make it more confusing.

His expression relaxed, releasing the tension lacing his jaw shut. Gray furrowed his brow in earnest, working up to what he wanted to say. 

"Yes, but not-" he didn't get the chance to finish.

"Hey, chica!" Rebecca sang, prancing into our office and releasing us from our purgatorial state. "You and Gray have a visitor at the front desk."

My gut cramped violently when I saw muted horror seep into Gray's expression, clenching more than just his jaw this time.

The only person who would ask for both of us was Elijah. Also, the last time we all hung out, Elijah tried to bust Gray's head open. So, that was probably bad.

The color drained from Gray's cheeks as I got up to follow Rebecca's swaying hips toward reception.

Instinctively, he increased his speed to angle himself in front of me.

Was Gray trying to protect me from a potential threat? Just the idea made my cheeks flush red hot.

"Holy shit!" Gray exclaimed as we neared reception, his tone far too lighthearted for an emergency. "What are you doing here, man?"