Chapter 12- Loki is arrested

I groaned as my eyes adjusted to the light. Around me were some nurses and Natasha Romanoff, who smiled as I glanced up at her. 

"Hey, there," she said softly. "Sorry about hitting you in the head,"

"W-what happened?" I asked. 

"We won," she grinned. "And you didn't make it any easier,"

I laughed half-heartedly, remembering what had felt like seconds ago. 

"Do you remember anything?" Natasha asked, helping me to stand up. The nurses moved on to another person as Natasha helped me limp into the elevator where everyone was piling up, including Loki, who appeared to be wearing some sort of muzzle-like thing. This cheered me up slightly. I wasn't sure why until I remembered that we had a bit of an... argument.

When we stepped outside of the elevator, I answered Natasha's question.

"It wasn't like being controlled by the scepter. Looking back, I remembered what I did and what I said, but my thoughts and opinions are completely lost," I explained.

"I see," she said. "Fury will want to debrief you because of what happened back there, by the way,"

"He'll want to debrief all of us," I replied.

"Yeah, I guess you're right,"

We all walked, SHIELD agents surrounding Loki, outside and out into an open area. We watched as Thor took the Tesseract, which was encased in some sort of cylinder container, and Loki took the other side. In a second, they were off, shooting into the sky. We all started back for the city. As we did, Natasha leaned over and whispered, "Did you like it?"

"W-what?" I asked.

"You know,"

"...oh. Yeah. I think I do,"

"Good, because I was wondering if you're free next Saturday,"

I grinned playfully. "What are you on about, Agent Romanoff?"

"Do I really need to spell it out for you?" she joked. "I was hoping we could go on a date this Saturday,"

"Oh!" I couldn't help but laugh nervously. "Yeah, yeah, that sounds fun,"

"Great, then!" 

I couldn't stop smiling the whole way back to the tower.

~

One week later

"So you heard voices?" Fury asked.

"Yes,"

"And they were coming from the scepter?"

"Yes,"

"What were they telling you?"

"They were calling my name,"

"That's it?"

"Well... before I picked it up... they told me that if I picked it up, nobody would ever understand me again," I lied.

"Hmm," Fury stood from his desk and began to pace. "How did you snap out of it?"

"Agent Romanoff punched me in the head,"

"That seems to be a common solution," 

"Why are you asking me all of this, Director?"

"Because I got a call from our friend Thor. He came to me saying that he believes that Loki needs a proper investigation, as our laws claim that all criminals should have. Based on what I've seen and heard, Loki got smashed around by the Hulk, hitting his head multiple times in the process, and for some reason seemed alright with surrendering to us after he was found in Stark tower. Thor wants to know if he was being controlled by the scepter just as you were,"

I stiffened. "It is certainly... possible,"

"Glad to hear it," Fury said, facing me all the way. "Because I'm putting you on research duty,"