Chapter 28

The air seems lighter in the cab, but I don't know why. Shouldn't I be upset? Shouldn't I be conflicted with the struggle John and I have faced? Shouldn't I be a bit angry at the life so many people have been ripped from?

But how could I be angry when Maddie explained every reason? She and our parents had saved us from danger before we could even read or write.

The pain of unanswered questions and cries is alleviated, and now a new motivation to help others has presented itself. If my parents and godparents could use their lives for good, so can John and I

The tension and buildup of years of pain seems to be just...gone. Though the ache still lies in my heart from the awful stories of death taking lives way too soon, I know why it was taken.

To keep John and I alive. They sacrificed themselves so that we could spend our days together, and that's the most important thing amidst all the pain.

I won't ever waste a moment feeling sorry for myself again. I have everything I need, and knowing how my parents gave so much just to see me and John live another day, that's more than enough.

As the cab drives us three silently through the misting rain, I can't help but close my eyes in the comforting warmth. I've never felt so connected and so aware of the family I have right next to me. And with Maddie to guide us through our storms, I feel eternally grateful for my incredible parents and godparents.

We soon pull up in front of the flat. The only reason I would've known this is because Sherlock's hand brushes over mine. The warmth creeps up my arm as holds and rubs the top of my hand with the smooth pad of his thumb. My eyes flutter open as I breathe out a yawn. Without a word between the three of us, I groggily exit the cab and follow the boys out into the pavement.

The cold air hits my cheeks and stings my exposed skin, but there's a burning warmth inside my chest to prevent it from hurting me. It's as if new burning embers had been reignited in my heart, and they weren't going to die down anytime soon.

With a jingling of keys from John, the smell of home greets my fatigue with comforting arms. The only sound was the light trickling of rain and distant murmurs of Mrs. Hudson's telly. I couldn't help but smile softly, for I have a new gratitude towards every second of my chaotic life.

"You alright, Y/N?" John hums to me, already half-way up the stairs. I grin up at him, but he already knows why. I'm just so thankful.

"Perfect." I look up at him and ascend up the stairs.

As I enter the comfortable, but messy living space, I breathe out a chuckle at the books and pictures strewn about the floorboards. I was so frantic yesterday in finding answers that I didn't even bother to breathe. But now that everything unknown in my life has been addressed, I feel utterly content. I just hope to God that it'll last.

A warm body from behind me eases my eyes shut. The familiar aroma of peaceful intoxication presents itself in the form of cologne. I lean my head into Sherlock's chest as his arms gently wrap around my waist. No nervous chills, no racing heart. Just slow, burning warmth.

"Bedtime, Miss Watson." His voice grumbles into my left ear, but I smile widely at his goofy command.

"I thought we established that neither of us are in charge in this relationship." I turn my head a bit more, my nose now brushing against his silky plum shirt. His chest rattles with a breathy chuckle.

"That's yet to be officially debated." His face dips down a few inches. A soft, blissful kiss is planted on my forehead, and suddenly the thought of blankets and pillows doesn't sound so bad. I pull myself from my boyfriends touch and walk to clean up the library books and family photos.