Chapter 24

The decision of leaving my sleeping boyfriend in bed alone is one of the most difficult ones I've ever made, and I've came face to face with the most world renown criminal consultant. But alas, I have a couple more months to work at Speedy's before I'll have enough of a stable income from Scotland Yard to pay rent.

Now shivering from being out of bed, I quickly get dressed into a cream colored jumper and black jeans, paired with a chunky belt and my beloved black boots. 

My boots are the equivalent to Sherlock's trench jackets. Iconic and timeless. I think with a smile.

I fix my hair out of my face and apply some makeup to brighten my dark circles. Staring at myself in Sherlock's mirror, I catch a glimpse of him sleeping in bed. I wish with every cell in my body I could call in sick for work, and just spend the day in Sherlock's warm embrace. Sadly, we live right next door, and it's difficult to avoid my boss. 

I walk over to his sleeping figure, the sound of his soft snoring melting my heart instantly. I kneel beside him and gently smooth the curls out of his face with a wide grin. I plant a light kiss on his forehead, causing him to stir a small smile. My stomach swirls with admiration for the man next to me, but I know if I delay any longer, I'll be late. 

The morning comes and passes just as any day. Although my focus should solely be making steaming hot Americanos and BLT's for paying customers, the feelings of my missing parents I've learned to suppress keep creeping into my head. 

We've learned they didn't even get on a plane that day. There was no crash.

So...what if they're still out there?

What if my parents are missing, but not dead?

"Excuse me? Hello?" A soft voice pulls me from my thoughts. Snapping back into reality, I see a familiar face standing in front of the counter. 

"Molly." I breathe out a polite smile.

Oh, crap. Does she know about Jim yet?

You know, how he's Sherlock's true arch-nemesis.

"H-How are you?" Seeing her slightly disappointed expression, I have a feeling she knows something. 

There's no way I'm gonna be the one to tell her. She already hates my guts as is.

Just wait until she finds out you're dating Sherlock, Y/N!

"Not great. Sherlock called me earlier and...told me about Jim." Her face shrinks into a saddened expression, but I can see in her eyes how this is a familiar occurrence. Heartbreak.

"Oh, Molly. I'm so, so sorry. I didn't-well, we didn't even think that-"

"It's alright, trust me. I wasn't even interested in him that much." She chuckles to herself, making the awkward tension around us disappear a bit.

"That's good to hear. So, what can I get you today, Molly?" I smile warmly at her.

"Oh, uh...just a black tea please. And maybe one of those lemon muffins." She glances over at the display box.

"Of course! That'll be...£2.95." I type in my employee discount, hoping to spark some sort of friendship with a small gesture.

"£2.95? That doesn't add up." She quirks her eyebrows.

"Employee discount...y'know, for a friend." I shrug softly. Molly's lips part into a content smile as she hands me the cash. I give her a number for her table and rush to warm her pastry.

The cafe goes silent as the last customer filters out, other than Molly. I place her plate and tea on her table, but not before she stops be abruptly.