Chapter 17

The dim light of the foyer hides Sherlock's touch of my hand. When I soon see the outline of John and Sarah in front of the ticket booth, I softly let go of Sherlock's grasp.

Jesus, I wish I didn't have to hide our...well, our relationship?

I wish I didn't have to hide in the darkness to touch him, or count how many seconds I look at him. 

He looks down at me for a split second, our hands a centimeter apart from each other. I swallow hard as we approach John and Sarah from behind. 

"I've got two reserved for tonight." He says, scratching the back of his neck.

"What's the name?" The boy says from behind the booth.

"Er...Holmes." He smiles at Sarah, shaking his head. A small grin curls on my lips as I look at Sherlock. 

"Actually...I have four in that name." The boy types on a computer, then hands him the tickets.

John takes them suspiciously. I internally cringe as I realize how intruding we're being on John and Sarah. "There must have been an error, I-"

"I decided it might be fun if we all got out for awhile." Sherlock interrupts, stepping closer behind the couple. I pinch the bridge of my nose, knowing I'd hate to be in Sherlock's shoes right now. 

John looks behind him at me and Sherlock. I look at him with a guilty look, but he just seems to avert his angry gaze at Sherlock. 

"I'm Sherlock." Sherlock holds out his hand to Sarah with a fake polite smile. She smiles awkwardly, shaking his hand. 

"And I'm Y/N. John's sister." I smile, "I'm really sorry for crashing your date." I look at Sarah and John.

"No! Not at all! I think double dates are underrated." She smiles at John, making him relax a bit. Sherlock doesn't object to the double date comment, but looks at John with an innocent shrug. 

"C'mon, John. Lighten up." He gives a sly smile. I shake my head with regret, looking at my feet.

Why does Sherlock always make it so easy to feel regret?

"I have to go to the loo." I try to leave the awkward situation, readjusting my purse strap on my shoulder. "Want to come, Sarah?" I look at her so the boys can get all the tension out of the air.

"Yeah!" She smiles as we walk off together. "So John's your brother, huh?" She asks as I notice the quiet arguing from the boys behind us.

"Yep. He's a really sweet guy; you'll like him a lot." I nod with a grin as we filter in and out of the crowds of people.

Hmm, I quite like having a girl friend to talk with. Maybe John should keep this one around.

"But that Sherlock is quite the handsome one!" She giggles, looking back at the boys.

Never mind. 

"Yeah, yeah. He is." I tuck some hair behind my ear, my stomach flipping and envy lying in the pit of my stomach. 

"Are you two...ya know..." She looks at me as we enter the bathroom. I just look at her questioningly.

She's going to ask if we're dating, and I'm going to have to say no.

And that kills me. 

"No." I attempt at a smile.

"But you want to be?" She enters a stall as I stand in front of the mirror. 

I stare at myself. My usual jumper and leggings are traded for a short skirt and tights. My messy braid is traded for styled hair and light makeup.