Prologue

I wanted excitement. I wanted adventure. And though I got plenty of it as a Huntress, for some reason, it wasn't enough. It was fun at first. I made new friends, I got to fight Grimm with my sister, I even got to fight a terrorist group. It was everything I'd been searching for.

But, for some strange reason, it wasn't enough.

I don't remember when I started to lose interest in being a Huntress. I do remember when I realized it though.

It was just a regular Monday. I woke up to see Ruby coming out of the bathroom, having just gotten dressed.

I climbed down from my bed, and reluctantly got ready for the day. I can still remember my first thought when I realized it was Monday.

'Great. Here we go again.'

I went to class with my friends, and I was not happy. I felt like I was being forced into this, even though no one was telling me to.

I was more bored in Port's class than I'd ever been. Even Ruby's funny little distractions, which surprisingly started to get even Weiss to laugh, didn't even get a giggle out of me.

Everything that I used to make me excited for the future just made me bored and regretful.

And my teammates started to notice.

In the cafeteria, I was picking at my food, still having that bored, regretful feeling I'd had all day. I didn't know where it was coming from, but I didn't care. I was feeling that way, and I didn't question it.

Then, Blake spoke up.

"Hey, Yang," she said.

I turned to her. "What's up?"

"Are you okay?" she asked. "You seem much less... social than usual."

"I'm fine," I said, giving a fake smile.

But Blake saw right through it. "You clearly aren't fine. You never pick at your food like that, you haven't made a single pun the whole day, you haven't even given Ruby any attention."

I turned to Ruby, who was staring at me, along with everyone else at the table.

"Guys, I'm fine," I said. "I'm just... not hungry. I... I just... Could you please stop staring at me like that?!"

"Way to prove her point," Weiss said. "What's going on?"

"I-I don't know!" I said. "I just feel bored!"

"Why?" Jaune asked.

"I don't know!" I said. "This has been going on for a while! I don't know when it started, but I'm not happy with this anymore!"

"With what?" Ruby asked.

"This!" I said. "Beacon, the classes, being a Huntress, all of it!"

Everyone at the table went silent, and were staring at me like I was crazy.

"I thought you wanted adventure," Blake said. "You always told me you wanted to have adventure, and to help people along the way. Aren't you doing what you want?"

"I-I don't know," I said, resting my head on the table. "I just don't know anymore."

"Well... we're here," Blake said. "If you ever need to talk about it--"

I stood up, growing frustrated. "I DON'T NEED TO TALK ABOUT IT! I JUST--"

I stopped, realizing that now everyone in the cafeteria was staring at me weird.

Embarrassed, and not wanting to talk about this anymore, I ran out of the cafeteria, and to the cliff overlooking Vale.

I didn't know what I was doing here. I just needed some distance. I needed some time to think about all of this. Everything.

I sat down, looking out at the horizon, feeling empty inside as I thought about this. I spent my whole life trying to become a Huntress. And now I didn't know if this was what I wanted to do.

If I wasn't happy with the career I'd been following for years, what was I meant to be?