A Pirate's Life For Me

The next few weeks were the best days of my life.

The pirates finally saw me as a person, and not just a toy to play with. They helped Jack teach me how to sail the ship, and even started teaching me the pirate lingo. I made a lot of friends, but I was never as close to them as I was to Jack.

At first, I made sure to stay very close to Jack, just like I used to. But, the more I got to know the others, the more I started to give Jack his space. However, I never left his side. Wherever he went, I followed him like a loyal dog. Even when they offered me a more comfortable bed, I stuck with the chair on the crow's nest.

He never seemed to care. Other than a couple times when he said I didn't need to stick by him, he always seemed happy to have me around.

I wasn't too sure why I was always sticking with him. I saw the other pirates as my closest friends since I was captured, yet I never wanted to leave Jack. Just being around him made me happy. On the rare occasion I wasn't around him, I felt like I was missing something. But then, the moment I'd see him, the feeling immediately went away, and was replaced by happiness.

It took a while for me to notice, but the feeling of emptiness I'd gotten from being a Huntress was gone. Every day was an adventure, and a fun one. I'd get to wake up every day, and look out at the beautiful ocean, which the pirates called the Caribbean, and I learned to call it that too.

Sometimes we'd go to a little island called Tortuga, where I met a lot of new pirates. I caught a lot of them giving the lustful stares I did not miss, and they usually tried to touch me the way the pirates from the Pearl would. Jack would always stop them, and I also had Ember Celica now, so I could fight back. Not only that, but even the pirates who used to try the same thing helped me out. And I could tell, they weren't doing it for my affection or anything. They were doing it out of respect, and to redeem themselves for the way they used to treat me.

Jack also taught me how to navigate the ocean, and though it took me a while to understand it at first, I eventually could figure out where we were just by looking at the position of the sun or the stars for a split second, just like Jack.

We went out looking for treasure many times, and Jack and I usually found where we were supposed to go. We'd go robbing people like criminals occasionally, and though I didn't like being a thief, it actually started to be fun. I made sure I never hurt anyone I attacked, and the other pirates learned to do the same.

The Black Pearl used to be a prison to me. I used to wake up every morning frightened of what would happen to me. Now it was like my home. I'd wake up excited for whatever adventure we were going to go on today, which was a feeling I hadn't felt in a while.

One night, we were all up on deck, singing my favorite shanty: A Pirate's Life For Me. Jack had taught me the song, and I couldn't get it out of my head.

We were celebrating our latest victory, drinking rum, eating some food we'd gotten, and dancing to the song. I didn't drink any of the rum. I mostly danced with Jack as we sang the shanty.

"Yo ho, yo ho!" Jack and I sang. "A pirate's life for meeee!"

We finished our dance, and we all cheered and laughed together.

"Let's do it again!" I shouted.

Jack took a huge drink of rum, and started to stumble.

"I think I've had too much," he said.

I helped him sit down, and I sat down next to him, laughing like crazy.

"Hey, Yang?"

I turned to Pintel and Ragetti.