Respect

The next couple days were much better.

I had some trouble with the pirates. They occasionally tried to touch me in certain spots. Sometimes they'd succeed, and either I would gently get them off, or Jack would get them off for me.

Jack and I had gotten much closer. Though he tried to stay closed off, he rarely did. Whenever there was another pirate nearby, he made sure to keep a close eye on me, making sure no one touched me, and whenever he caught someone trying something, he'd move me away or push them away.

He taught me a lot about being a pirate, and sailing the seas. I learned a lot about how to sail a pirate ship, and I had to admit, though it was hard work, it was fun work.

One day, I was standing on the crow's nest with him, looking out into the ocean.

"I see why you like it out here," I said.

He rose an eyebrow.

"It's so nice," I said. "It almost makes me forget about those perverts down below. Almost."

He smiled. "It gets my mind off of a lot of things, too."

"Like what?" I asked.

"Whatever upsets me," he replied.

I looked at him. "I didn't know things upset you."

"Doesn't everyone get upset from something?" he asked.

"Touché," I said.

There was an awkward silence.

"I'm sorry," Jack said.

I turned to him. "For what?"

"I'm sorry you were captured," he said. "I'm sorry you were sold to us. I'm sorry for everything you've gone through."

I lowered my head, as the memories of my life before I became a pirate slave came flooding into my head.

"It's fine," I said. "It's not your fault."

"Doesn't mean I don't feel bad," he said.

"It's kind of my fault anyway," I said.

"Well that doesn't make any sense," he said. "How is it your fault for getting captured?"

"I was trying to stop a train with my teammates," I explained. "A girl named Neo came in, trying to stop us. I could've fought her with my friends, but I decided to fight her alone. I lost the fight, and I got myself captured. So... here I am."

"So it is your fault," Jack said.

I laughed, and punched his shoulder. "Not helping!"

We looked back out at the ocean, and that's when we saw it. There was an airship making its way to us.

Jack immediately looked down and shouted, "All hand hoy!"

Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked up at us.

"Pirate-Hunting Airship dead ahead!" Jack shouted.

Captain Elton ran to the wheel, and began turning, shouting orders to the pirates.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"General Ironwood," Jack said. "Bloody Atlas military."

"They're after you guys?" I asked.

Jack nodded. "Those are special kinds of airships that hunt down pirate ships."

"What if I can go home?" I asked. "What if they can take me home?"