Chapter 42|| "I'm not okay with this."

With the weight of the lawsuit on my shoulders. I went to school like any normal day. Rehearsal then first period all the way till lunch. Until I got called up to the office.

Ricky squeezed my hand as I left my seat. I nodded to him following the vice principle.
My mom had pulled me out early for a family issue.

I sat in the passenger seat of the car.

"What's happening?" I asked

"Your dad wants to fight me for custody." She said

"I'm not letting that happen don't worry."

"But we need to prepare you for the trial."

I nodded and we drove home to meet with our lawyer at the house. Reggie nervously paced back and fourth as we waited. Soon enough the door rang and I stood up to get it.

I opened it to reveal a tall blonde man with bright blue eyes and a brief case. I let him in as he shook my moms hand.

We discussed the case as he told me what to say when I was called upon. I wrote everything down on practice cards.

"What happens if he wins?" I asked

My moms facial expression changed

"We will figure it out." She said shutting down any further questioning as she stepped outside with the lawyer.

My phone rang sending my loud ringtone into the atmosphere.

"What's that!" Reggie asked as a song blared from my phone

My ringtone continued to play a voice memo I made from Luke playing guitar in the studio.

"It's nothing." I said as I took the call

"Meet me outside, my backyard." The voice said ending the call

Richard..

I walked into my backyard, unlocked my gate and then his. Making my way into his backyard to wait for him.

"Surprise!" He said jumping out of nowhere to tickets to the towns "Lights Of Memory." Festival

I smiled at him hugging him tightly. It's a distraction, something I need right now aside from this stupid case.

My mom called for me as the lawyer left and I was alone again. Left in my room in silence for hours as I stared at my ceiling. Thinking.

The worse thing I could do, was think. About the case about school about my life... about Luke and Nini.

It makes me feel so empty.. not just being able to go up to him and hold his hand. Or tell him how I feel. It just bottled up and stays there. While she stares at him and sings the songs I wrote. For Us. For me and Luke.

I'm not okay with this..

I sat up in my bed pulling my guitar over my lap. I pressed the brass strings against the fret board. Forming a G chord. I plucked each string one by one. Creating my melody.

"And I know we weren't perfect but I've never felt this way for no one."

"And I just can't imagine how you could be so okay now that I'm gone."

I felt each note through the guitar. The emotion came naturally. As each lyric told the story between me and Luke. I felt my eyes water.

Luke's p.o.v
Where did I put it ??

I can't lose this jacket it's been through everything with me. Not to mention it's got the cool patches. Where would I have lost it?

Ali's room! I thought to myself
Running up the stairs as my vans dropped on each step creating a loud noise. I turned the corner towards her room.

I reached for the handle but a guitar chord strummed. I retracted my hand and waited.

It was Ali for sure. But the lyrics.. the lyrics weren't Ali. It was something else. It's not her normal songs. This is emotion filled, she's really hurting. I thought to myself as I slid down her door listening in.

The thought of my jacket left my mind as I listened to her sing. Through such pain. I felt sorry for her. Who hurt her so badly that she would- .. the thought crossed my mind again.

It's me.. it absolutely has to be me. I hurt her. The one thing I promised I wouldn't do. I said forever and walked away.

I stood up dusting off my shirt. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

End of p.o.v

A knock fell upon my door. It opened slowly. I quickly wiped the tear that had fallen from my eye. Placing my guitar on its stand.

"Sorry to interrupt." Luke said

"I think I left my jacket in here."

I pointed to it sitting on my chair. I kept my head down in hopes he wasn't staying long.

"And Ali ?" He said

I looked up accidentally, my puffy face reflecting how upset I was.

"I wish it were different too."