Chapter 12 - Shakespeare

"Fairytale's, 348," Loki kept his eyes trailed on the shelf looking for the spot as he held out a hand and caught the book.

Ad he slipped the book into its place he took out another. "Lewis Carrol Riddles, 875,"

The book flew up into your hand. "Dreams, 142," You and Loki were in the library sorting out the books on this boring afternoon after finding novels misplaced. "Hey, did you want to get a hot dog after this?" Leaning over the banister of the second floor, Loki looked up in confusion.

"Hot dog? Does Tony allow pets?"

"It's a food,"

"You eat dogs?!"

"No!" You burst into laughter. "Hot dogs, it's a sausage in a roll of bread,"

"Oh, thank the Norns," Loki sighed in relief as he passed you another book. "World War II, 958... That sounds wonderful, dove,"

"Cool beans," you slipped the book into the right spot.

"Knock knock?" Steve peaks around the slightly ajar door to see you both. "Uh, hey guys,"

"Hey, Stevie, what's up? Greek Mythology, 201,"

"Are you guys... busy?"

"Not at all, captain," Loki placed the book away and faced the hero. "What may we assist you with?"

"I have a date-" he was cut off as you slid down the wooden railings that spiraled down.

"Finally! What's her name?"

"Anna, she likes Shakespeare and... I don't know the first thing about it!" Steve laughs in frustration.

"You came to the right people, Cap," he was settled into a chair. "Lokes, can you get me the complete works?"

"The full book or collection with separate plays?"

"Separate, please," As he went away, you clutched Steve's fidgeting hands. "What's her favourite play?"

"Uhm... Seventh day? Something like that?"

"Do you mean Twelfth night?" holding back a laugh you take the right book out of the pile Loki slammed onto the table. "Good taste,"

"Are... Are these all his plays?"

"No, I just thought these were the worth while ones," the god hums. "There are thirty six,"

"Thirty seven," you correct. "But don't worry, we'll just get the basics,"

~~~

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate: Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, And summer's lease hath all too short a date,"

"Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines, And often is his gold complexion dimm'd; And every fair from fair sometime declines, By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd,"

Steve watched as you and Loki recited the sonnet to each other. There was a glisten of truth with each beating word that sprung from either of your mouths, sincerity.

"Got it?" You pull away from Loki's gaze and look to Steve.

"Uhm... yeah, I'll be fine,"

"Worry not, Captain, you will do fine,"

~~~

"You look gorgeous,"

"Not too bad yourself, Rogers," Anna smiles softly as she took his arm. "This is... a really fancy place," she mutters.

"Uhm, Stark chose it, said I should really go all out,"

"Well, give Stark my regards," Steve sighed thankfully as they were seated quickly. Across the restaurant, you and Loki sat in disguise.

"That hostess was a little witty, wasn't she?" Anna laughs as Steve heard the first cue from Loki.

"Better a witty fool than a foolish wit," Steve repeated the god's exact words.

"You know twelfth night?" Anna's deep brown eyes lightened up.

"Of course I do, who doesn't?" Steve scoffs with a smile.

"Who's your favourite?"

"Mercutio," Steve said effortlessly as you and Loki started to panic over the intercom.

"Mercutio? I'm pretty sure he's from Romeo and Juliet," Anna chuckles causing heat to rise in the soldier's cheeks. "Well, I like Viola, not to be basic,"

"Oh definitely, Viola is great," Steve hums as he chugs his water. "C-can we get a refill?"

~~~

"This is a disaster," You hit your head against the table as your dish arrives. "Thanks,"

"Worry not, dove, he hasn't messed up completely," Loki dug into his food and ate, keeping an eye on a very distressed Cap. "Antonio is the sea captain who rescues Sebastian," Loki says over the comm.

"It was very noble of him to save Sebastian,"

"Steve, I'm talking about Much ado about nothing," Anna gave a small smile watching as Steve started to stumble over his words.

"Shit," Loki cusses making you snicker. "Antonio is an easy to mix up character,"

Steve repeats this.

"No he's not," you mumble, apparently still on the line as Steve repeated this too. "Shit, I wasn't talking to you,"

"Steve? Are you ok?" Anna looked slightly concerned at his random sentences.

"I-I'm fine,"

"Sonnet 18, Steve," You whisper shout.

"No, too early for that, make it 116,"

"You're kidding. Steve listen to me, do 18," You and Loki bantered back and forth over the com as Steve grew more and more confused and anxious.

"Steve? Are you alright?" Anna clutched his hand. "What's wrong?"

The soldier looked up at her before deciding on his next move. He removed the ear piece.

"What is he doing??" You watch as the only way of communication was pocketed. The night went on and... it actually turned out better than the first half. Both of them enjoyed each other's company without being interrupted by a bugging voice or rather voices in Steve's ear.

"He did it..." You breathe out as the bill was paid for the table and the both of them left.

"He did," Loki looked just as surprised.

"I still stand with my point, Sonnet 18 was a better choice,"

"Foolish wit, dove," Loki coughs behind his glass of wine.

"Oh shut up, you messed up the Antonio's,"

"An honest mistake," he hums before standing up and lending his hand for you. "Doth thou wish for an evening stroll?"

"A foolish decision on my end if I were to decline, and a sorrowful moment of loss for you, my prince,"

~~~

Shakespeare

Shakespeare

- Anna ❤️