Chapter 3

Kaiden's Point of View

Kaiden and Alex had bought everyone's favourite cakes from Mrs Gribble's with minimal make-out sessions in between, and the party had been a blast.

The two of them had pooled in money to buy D.C. an opal necklace from Freya that perfectly matched the colour of her eyes. The thin chain was a lovely silvery colour, and the opal itself was in the shape of a teardrop that sparkled breathtakingly in the light. Not knowing what to give Jordan, they bought him a new tuxedo which they hoped he would wear at the wedding. Then they had changed into nicer clothes before Bubbling back to the palace.

Roka, Kyia and Zain had brought Meyarin food, much to everyone's excitement, and the party had been wonderful. All too soon, however, the party was brought to an end and everyone said their goodbyes. 

When Alex had finished at Akarnae, she had moved in with Kaiden. D.C., being the royal princess, had bought them a house on the coast of Tryllin. It hadn't bothered her much; in fact, she had insisted with glee, probably waiting for the long-overdue, in her opinion, proposal.

Kaiden and Alex had walked home from the party, unlocking the front door with a biosensor that Johnny had installed for them. When they got inside, Alex flopped down on the couch.

"I'm so happy for them," Alex said contentedly. "I think they're perfect for each other."

Kaiden smiled. "I think so too, sweetheart."

Sometimes Kaiden couldn't believe it. The day he had first seen Alex... sure, he'd seen a lot of pretty girls, but none as beautiful as Alex, inside and out. He remembered using a mind-reading gift on her, discovering the fact that she was Freyan, and as their relationship developed, his increasing sadness as he understood that Alex would return to Freya, and he would stay in Medora... Until a few years ago, when Alex had told him that she planned on staying in Medora. Kaiden's spirits had soared as he realised that he might have a future with the girl he loved. After she was done saving the world.

"You want to shower first?" Alex offered.

"Nah, I have something I need to see to first," Kaiden said. "You go on."

Alex raised an eyebrow but didn't ask questions. She shrugged. "See you later then, I guess."

Kaiden winked at her. "Back in an hour."

Bending down, he pressed a soft kiss to her lips before retrieving a small box from his drawers, pocketing it, walking out the front door, smashing a Bubbler vial, and stepping through to Akarnae.

---

Nostalgia flooded Kaiden's veins as he took in the campus of his old school. He would miss it, he realised with a jab of sadness. He already did.

Kaiden strode across the quiet grounds towards the Tower. He needed the Library.

Once he walked down the stairs from the foyer of the Library, he realised it went down further than normal. Perhaps the Library already knew why he was there.

He reached the bottom of the stairs which opened to a long corridor of doors.

"Well, that'll make it harder," Kaiden muttered to himself. He called out, "Library? A little help?"

A door swung open a little further down the corridor. Never be afraid to ask, Kaiden James, came the voice of the Library, sounding strangely amused.

Kaiden's lips twitched as he remembered the Library saying that to him once before.

"Thank you," he said, before walking towards the door, and stepping through it.

Kaiden's feet landed on the wildflower island in Draekora, where Xira appeared to be sleeping. The Library really did take me right to the draekon, Kaiden thought gratefully. 

Kaiden nudged Xira, careful to avoid his head in case he started spewing out blue flames. Sure enough, when Xira awoke, blue sparks flew from his nostrils before he realised who had nudged him. 

"Kaiden?" Xira asked sleepily.

"Don't communicate with Alex," Kaiden said straight-up. "It's a surprise."

At that, Xira gave a rumbling chuckle. "I wouldn't." The draekon stood a little straighter. "So, Kaiden, what did you have in mind?"

Kaiden explained his idea to Xira, who looked more and more excited as he continued.

"Alex will love it!" Xira cried. "But do you have the ring?"

In response, Kaiden pulled out the box he had pocketed before leaving the house.

Xira reared back as he stared at the gorgeous ring. It was made of Myrox, with swirling patterns made of miniature diamonds from Tia Auras. On the inside of the band, a swirling design of laendra was engraved into the Myrox. Kaiden still remembered, with no small amount of amusement, when he had first requested the diamonds and Zaylin had grumbled, 'First Jordan, now you. Seems everyone wants our Tia Auran diamonds.' Kaiden had thought the use of Tia Auran diamonds was fitting, because their first kiss had been in Tia Auras. The Myrox, because really, Alex was part Meyarin, and he remembered people talking about her as a 'daughter of the light', and Myrox seemed to emit its own glowing light. The laendra, so that Alex would always be wearing something to remember Niyx by, and because of its healing properties, to remind her that her scars from the war, from the battle, from Aven, would heal over time.

"Will it clash with the vaeliana?" Kaiden asked nervously. 

"Absolutely not!" Xira screeched disbelievingly. "She wore a silver dress to the masquerade ball a few thousand years ago. You know, the one in Meya. Anyway, it looked wonderful with the glow of the vaeliana. It's perfect, Kaiden." Xira's voice softened. "It's perfect."

Kaiden took a deep breath. "My plan... do you think Alex will like it?"

Xira rolled his cerulean eyes. "I already told you, Kaiden, she'll love it," he said gently. "I wouldn't have said that if I didn't mean it. Truly, she will. You forget that I can read the thoughts that she projects at me, and sometimes she feels so strongly that she unintentionally projects thoughts. She projects thoughts about you, Kaiden. She loves you just as much as you love her."

Kaiden gave the draekon a smile, enjoying the warmth spreading throughout his body at Xira's mention of Alex's love. It was nothing he didn't already know, but it was nice to hear it from Xira all the same.

"Goodbye, Xira," Kaiden bade the draekon farewell. "I hope you'll come."

"Of course," Xira promised. "I'll be there."

Kaiden stepped back through the doorway to Akarnae, and Bubbled back to his house, where he fell asleep curled up beside the lightly - and adorably, in his opinion - snoring Alex, with a smile on his face.