Part XVI

Eleanor, still in disguise, and Hadrian found themselves being lead by Lormere’s finest, to an unknown location.

“If you could just let me explain,” said the Queen, still in the form of a large man and trying to wriggle her arms out of the soldier’s grip. These Lormerean soldiers certainly knew how to hold a prisoner. “You two got no business bein’ here. Only people allowed through, are those with express written permission,” said Blonde Soldier, “Everybody knows that.”

Hadrian was fed up with this nonsense. “Unhand her at once, she is the Queen of RedCrest,” said Hadrian. “You’re the ugliest Queen I ever saw,” joked one of the soldiers. The other men roared with laughter.

“Now would be a great time to evidence my claims, Your Highness,” said Hadrian to the Queen. Eleanor tried and tried with all her might, but she simply couldn’t will the magic to reverse her appearance. “I don’t know why it isn’t working,” she said.

“Listen to these two fools,” said another soldier, “Into the dungeon wif the bof of ya.”

* * *

“I demand an audience with your King and/or Queen,” said Eleanor. The royal dungeon in Lormere was in an absolute state - she secretly wished Falkner could have been here to give it the once over before she was to be locked up.

“Well, you’ll be waitin’ a long time,” said the Blonde Soldier, “His and Her majesty passed not long ago.” Just outside of the dungeon was a royal guard. He unlocked the cell, allowed the guards to escort Eleanor and Hadrian inside, then slammed the cell door shut and locked it again.

As the soldiers began to walk away, Eleanor decided to place her cards on the table and called out after them, “A woman from this Kingdom - well, at least we believe it to be this Kingdom - has come to RedCrest and has caused a great deal of trouble. Have any of you heard of Snow White?”

All the soldiers and the guard stopped dead in their tracks. They turned around to face Eleanor. “Did you say, Snow White?” asked the guard, with a dire inflection. Eleanor nodded. “Right, stay here,” he said, before rushing off. “Where else would we go?” asked Hadrian, rattling the prison door.

The soldiers and the guard all ran out of the room. Eleanor walked to the back of the cell and slid down the wall. Hadrian joined her and sat on the ground.“What if I’m stuck like this forever?” said Eleanor, dejectedly. “Well, it would certainly make your relationship with Orion interesting,” joked Hadrian. El shot Hadrian a very concerned look. “Oh my, I hadn’t thought of that. I was mainly concerned that I don’t have any clothes that would fit…” said Eleanor, her worry now compounded. 

A lot of hustle and bustle could be heard echoing down the stairway that lead from the inside of the castle and down to the dungeon. A Herald appeared inside the torch-lit dungeon, wearing royal robes and carrying a trumpet. “Announcing Princess Rose Red,” bellowed the Herald. Eleanor couldn’t help but think, for a custom so formal, you’d think they’d bother to sweep the floors occasionally. 

Not a moment later, in walked Rose Red with a royal fanfare of soldiers and guards. She was a striking young woman. Tall, very pale skin with long dark red, wavy hair and incredibly dark eyes. Rose wore long, dark blue, velvet robes, her fingers interlocked enclosed in gloved hands. Such a breathtaking, yet formidable appearance - Hadrian gasped.

Rose walked over to the cell. “My subjects tell me you claim to be royalty,” said Rose, quizzically, examining Eleanor in her male form, “Such a unique look for a Queen.” “Yes,” replied Eleanor, “I, uh, well, I might as well come clean. We journeyed a long way here from RedCrest. And I think we both know that the lands in between are no place for a woman with such a small party accompaniment. So I admit, I have used some sorcery to change my appearance to that of a man. Only, now I can’t seem to change back.”