Part XIV

An unfamiliar scent cut through a sea of familiar voices.

"Is that going to make her wake up soon?" asked a tiny voice. "Well, I've been learning the tricks of the trade from a physician for the last few months, without him knowing, mind you. If I remember correctly, she should come to in a moment," replied Falkner.

Eleanor lay passed out on a bed. Falkner gently moved the smelling salts back and forth under the Queen's nose. "Nicked these salts just before we left," said Falkner, "Mr Talbot said to never leave home without them - so I made sure I didn't."

The Queen came to, opening her eyes slowly and batting away the vial of salts and the foul stench of ammonia along with it. Bleary eyed, Eleanor rubbed her face.

"My Queen, you're alright!" piped up the tiny voice again. "Who said that?" asked the Queen, groggily. She looked left and right for the owner of the voice, but nothing. "Down here," said the voice again. Eleanor looked down toward the bottom of the bed and spread her feet - revealing Cato, in all his short glory.

"Cato!" she exclaimed, sitting up in bed, quickly. It was a little too fast and Eleanor got a head rush. Falkner helped her back down. "How on earth are you alive?" she asked. "Actually, my Queen, we are all alive," he said, almost not believing it himself. He walked over to a doorway and called out, "She's awake."

Eleanor noticed bandages wrapped around Cato's leg with a splint down one side. Hadrian, came out of the room. He was as able bodied as ever. His wispy hair bounced along as he walked in. Eleanor noticed Hadrian seemed different.

"Your Highness, how are you feeling?" asked Hadrian, seriously. Eleanor thought about that answer and for the first time since she woke up, had noticed the room she was in. The stone walls curved up to a point in the roof, like a dome. Tree roots came through the central part in the roof and weaved their way through the stones in any nook and cranny they could find.

"What is this place?" asked the Queen. "I'm sorry, my Queen, even Dwarfs have secrets we must keep to ourselves," said Hadrian, apologetically, "But since you are here..." Hadrian left the room and quickly returned with the Bottle of Secrets. It swirled with colourful, transparent orbs.

Hadrian uncorked the top of the bottle. A green, transparent orb separated itself from the swirling rainbow masses inside and floated out the top of the bottle. It hovered in front of Hadrian's face for a moment, then he inhaled and it disappeared into his mouth.

"This is our safe house - for the Dwarfs. Our retreat, if anything were ever to happen," said Hadrian. The Queen slowly sat up in the bed and couldn't help but notice Hadrian's voice sounded confident, unwavering - a far cry from the cadence she was used to hearing from him. "After the cave in, we came here and have been recovering ever since," continued Hadrian, "The others would love to see their Queen, if you feel up to it."

Hadrian motioned to an adjoining room. Eleanor stood up, slowly, from the bed. Falkner rushed to her side, "Easy does it now, Your Highness." Eleanor accepted Falkner's helping hand and the Queen righted herself. Eleanor managed to walk unassisted over to the doorway.

"The other's weren't as lucky as I," warned Hadrian. The Queen entered the room. It too had the curved wall that lead to the roof, also with the beginnings of mother nature's intrusion visible on the ceiling. There were seven beds, three down one side of the room, four down the other.

Septimus, Magnus, Atticus, Virgil and Tiberius all lay in their beds, littered with injuries, wrapped in bandages. Tiberius looked the worst. Cato hobbled over to his bed. They each offered their best "My Queen" they could manage.

"My friends, I cannot express how deeply grateful I am to see all of your beautiful faces again," said Eleanor, "You know, we had your passing over ceremony this morning, everyone thinks you're dead."