Ch 6 - Right In Front Of Us

I got home just in time to help Mom with dinner. But first I texted Ryder to ask if he wanted to join us. He replied that he was on his way. Of course the first thing my mom asked was how my "date" with Mason went.

"Mom, it wasn't a date," I reminded her. Again.

"Right. So whatever it was, how was it?"

"It was okay. I'm no better at playing the guitar. But...he did ask me out on an official date."

"He did? And you said yes?"

"Yes, I did. But he's leaving it up to me when and where we go. Like I have any clue what a good date would be."

"This will be your first solo date, won't it?" she asked, glancing up from the vegetables she was cutting. It was true. I had gone on exactly two other dates, with other couples. And obviously those didn't work out so great.

I let out a big sigh. I got nervous just thinking about it. "Yep, it is."

"And exactly how do you feel about that?"

"Excited, I guess. But a little nervous. We've been strictly friends all this time and I'm afraid it'll be weird."

"What does Ryder think about it?" she asked, out of nowhere.

I told her that I hadn't told him yet. But she kept probing. "How do you think he'll feel about it?"

"Fine, I guess. Despite the teasing, he didn't seem to have any issues with me hanging out with Mason today."

"Hmm. Are you sure about that?"

"Um, yeah. Mom, why are you asking so many questions?"

Mom wiped her hands on a towel, turned to me, and took one of my hands in hers. "Katesby, honey. I'm going to be nosy for a minute. You can plead the fifth if you wish. But, have you and Ryder ever..." she started waving one of her hands around, searching for the right words, "had feelings about each other that were... more than friendly?"

At first I was too shocked to speak. So many people had asked me that before, but not my own mother. It took me by surprise, because she had known us all our lives, and she knew it wasn't like that.

"Mom! NO. Oh my God." I pulled my hand away from hers, and turned around to stir something on the stove, hoping she'd get the hint and change the subject. And, honestly, I was hoping she didn't notice that I wasn't confident about the answer I gave.

Mom started giggling and shook her head, working on the vegetables again. "Well, anyway, I'm just saying, sometimes we don't see what's right in front of us." After a couple minutes of silence, she started again. "Have you ever watched the movie Some Kind of Wonderful?"

"Never heard of it."

"I didn't expect you had. It's probably as old as me, but it was one of my favorites as a teenager. You should check it out sometime."

"Check out what?" Ryder appeared out of nowhere. Thank goodness he didn't come in a few seconds earlier.

I heard my mom trying to stifle a laugh as I told him, "I don't know, some old movie."

"Oh yeah? What's it called?"

Mom answered, "It's called Some Kind of Wonderful. It's a chick flick, so you may not like it."

I laughed out loud. "Ha! Ryder totally watches chick flicks, Mom. He probably likes them more than I do."

"Shut up, Kate," Ryder said, trying to not smile. He knew I was telling the truth. "So what's for dinner anyway?"