Ch 1 - Love You

"Okay, Ry. Sleep tight. I love you." I gave Ryder a big hug and headed inside my house.

"Love you, too, Kate," Ryder said over his shoulder, hopping down from the porch, sprinting back to his car.

We always made it a point to say "I love you" when parting ways. Our whole family was like that. There were "I love yous" thrown all over the place, because, well, we all loved each other. Ryder and I weren't really family, by blood anyway. But we couldn't have been closer if we had been blood related.

Ryder had just brought me home after I spent the day at his house, trying to study for an upcoming exam. I say "trying" because it was more like me putting forth an effort and Ryder being in his own little world. We were in year twelve and I still hadn't learned that it was a waste of my time trying to get Ryder to study with me. Neither of us were in any real danger of failing the exam, as we both did well in school. But I had to work for it a little more than he did.

Everything seemed to come easy for Ryder. He was smart, outgoing, and funny. He made friends easily. He was musically talented. And he was so damn handsome, with his dark complexion and hair, and contrasting bright blue eyes. He was so beautiful it was sickening, really.

I, on the other hand, had to put forth an effort to accomplish anything. I was a little on the introverted side, so I didn't have many friends. I couldn't get the hang of playing an instrument, despite many attempts by Ryder and my dad to teach me to play guitar. Uncle Ash even tried teaching me the drums, but that was an epic fail as well. So I just stuck to singing. And in the looks department, I was average at best. I had wavy auburn-brown hair, green eyes, and freckles like my mother. I did have some cute dimples though. Ryder had teased me more than once about them, saying that I was adopted, too, because I was the only one in my family with dimples.

As I was getting ready for bed, Ryder texted me.

From Ry: Was so caught up in studying I forgot to ask if u want to come to practice tomorrow.

To Ry: Whatevs, Ry. U weren't doing much studying. But yes.

From Ry: K. It will be right after school so u can ride home with me.

To Ry: K. Night. ILY

From Ry: ILY

Ryder and I did everything together. But I had only been to a handful of Relativity's practices. He, Jaxson, the drummer, and Mason, the bassist, considered me "one of the guys." They didn't care if I hung around during practices. But I tried to let Ryder dedicate that time to his other friends as much as possible. Besides, I used that time away from Ryder to catch up with Kenzie, my lone female friend.

Kenzie was basically your "girl next door," like myself, though a lot more outgoing than me. She used to have a huge crush on Ryder, but she would never let me tell him. Except, I actually did tell him, because I told him everything, but she didn't know about it. Ryder didn't dislike Kenzie, but he said he just wasn't into her like that, so I didn't push it. Of course, that was year ten. She still flirted with Ryder, even though she was over him, or so she said. However, she had been with this guy named Carter for the past six months. He was a bit of an asshole, but I tolerated him for Kenzie's sake. She was a very insecure person - one of those type of people who think they have to be with someone to feel like they are worth anything. That drove me crazy, but I loved her.

The next morning at school was exciting because the prom announcement was made. Of course, we all knew it was going to happen, but now we had an exact date and could start making plans. I was probably one of the least excited people, though. Not only did I not enjoy being all girly and getting dressed up, I knew my chances of having a date were slim to none, like the previous year. That's why I didn't bother going. But Kenzie insisted that I go this year, as it would be my last opportunity, and she felt it was something every girl should experience. I agreed with her and promised that I would go, even if I had to go alone.