Ch 22 - Thinking

It was just after midnight and Calum was standing there, listening to Ryder explain what had happened. All he had to say about it was, "That explains why everyone looks like a sourpuss.  Look, Ryder, I know you're of age and can make your own decisions. But I really wish you wouldn't drink. Sometimes the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I've always worried about that."

Ryder looked guilty, and nodded in agreement. 

Then Calum said, "I better get them home. Will you walk out with me, Ryder?"

"Yeah, sure."

"I'll see you later, Katesby. Keep my boy in line, will ya?" Calum said, winking at me.

"Will do, Uncle Cal. Thanks for helping us out." I loved that he called Ry his boy. It made my heart happy.

Ryder was gone just a minute. When he came back, I asked him why Calum wanted Ryder to walk out with him.

"Um, well," he began, but started laughing.

"What is it?" His laughter was contagious, and I started laughing just because he was.

"He asked me if we were using protection. He doesn't want you to get pregnant." He continued laughing. "I'm sorry, it's not even funny. It was just random as fuck."

"Awkward. What did you tell him?" 

"I told him yes. I mean, it's not really a lie because we will. It just caught me off guard. Damn, that was a good laugh. I needed that."

"What a night, huh?" 

"Yeah. Not quite the way I imagined it would go. Oh well," he shrugged.

"Thanks for rescuing me. Seriously. Remind me to never be around Mason when he's drinking again." I shivered at the thought of what could have happened if Ryder hadn't been there or didn't show up when he did. 

Ryder's face became serious, as he traced my jaw with a finger. "I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe. And happy. I want you to be happy."

"I am happy. I can't imagine being any happier than I am right now." Then I corrected myself, "Scratch that. I would be happier if our families were getting along."

He tilted my head up with both of his hands to reach my lips. After a light, lingering kiss that turned my insides to mush, he said, "Everything is going to be okay. Let's not dwell on that tonight."

That's all it took for my brain to turn off all thoughts except those of Ryder. And me. The two of us. "What do you want to dwell on then?" I asked, coyly.

"Well, we're all alone for the rest of the night. I'm sure we can think of something." Ryder licked his lips, then bit the bottom one, grinning.

My heart rate sped up. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"I think I'm thinking what you're thinking. At least I hope so."

I was feeling rather brave, so I told him, "Show me what you're thinking."

With those words, he did the most cheesy, overrated thing I had ever seen or read about. He scooped me up in his arms and carried me to the bedroom. I always thought I had an aversion to that particular 'romantic' gesture, but actually having it happen to me made me realize I was wrong. He sat me down on my feet so I was standing next to the bed.  

"Kate, just because we're alone for once, it doesn't mean we have to do this right now. You know we can wait, right?"

"There is no way we're not doing this, Ry. I already told you I was ready, and I meant it. I love you, and I want this. I want you." I pulled him to me, my hands already trying to take off his shirt. Once it was off, I ran my hands down his perfect chest and abdomen. It was Heaven finally being able to freely touch his bare chest that I had been caught staring at more than once.