Chapter 1. New Guard

It was a rough morning, first my bedsheets had fallen off midway through the night, then I woke up late because I forgot to fix my alarm to daylight savings and of course my coffee machine was broken, of all days it was my first day at my new job.

I groaned as I got into my truck, I felt like a living bag of trash at the moment as I stopped by Gotham Burger to get a Goffee, weird branding but it's cheap. After crossing a bridge I was there.

I glance up at the heavily guarded walls of my new, slightly terrifying workplace, the name 'Arkham Asylum' barely shone from the gate with all the rust that had shown the places age. 

I had somehow managed to juggle my emotions between excited for finally getting a high paying job and terrified by working at one of the most dangerous places in Gotham.

"Mister Y/n?" a guard asked as I approached the main gate in my truck.

"Yeah that's me. I know I'm a bit late but you know the saying right? Late impressions are better then no-" I tried to quote, but was rudely cut off by the guard, who was now looking at a document with my name on it.

"Look kid... this place is gonna chew that smile off your face. And I don't mean that figuratively, poor Harold... I say resign. NOW. Before you become one of the people living here" He seemed to demand, I was a little bit shaken but still gave him a look as if to say 'I'll be fine'.

"Your funeral... By the way look out for the guards, some of them tend to be a little more... aggressive then others" The guard added as a beep rang out, the gate ahead of me opened and the first man I see is the legendary Commissioner himself.

Jim motherfuckin Gordon.

I parked my car in the dedicated parking spot... which was right next to the gate. Getting out I saw Gordon approaching me.

"You must be the new guard" Gordon guessed, putting his hand out for a shake, which I gladly shook. Strong grip.

"Well I don't know the details to the guard job, just thought it was general tower guard business" I replied as me and Jim walked into the front door, getting both of us scanned down heavily.

"Well, this is about a hundred times more deadly than any old tower work" Gordon explained as we passed through the halls and saw what seemed to be an overnight quarters for the full time guards, also may have fearfully grunted after hearing the deadly part to the job.

He explained to me that the guards are usually assigned to inmates, like a buddy system, to make sure they don't talk about certain subjects with other prisoners, such as escaping, and not to cause trouble. Apparently they left the details out as they seem to go through the guards quickly, and they don't want new guys to avoid the advertisement.

"So who am I going to be assigned to? Low tier risk?" I asked trying to wish for that bloody hand puppet, probably the easiest inmate in this place since he needs a host to actually do anything bad.

We entired the inmate file area, a lot of them were piled in the non-guarded section... which was worrying.

"Well you were meant to be Clayface's new guard, the old one kinda... drowned. But a position popped up that needs more attention then that walking mud pile" Gordon replied, going through some documents that seemed to be piled up on the non-guarded inmates desk.

I couldn't be more glad to of avoided that living 5 year old's art project, considering he could just off me and make a double like it was nothing and get out... and ruin my image.

Gordon seemed to be confused, and then looked around the surrounding desks for something.

"Swear her file was here somewhere" Jim spoke to himself while scratching his head, and his mustache now raised.