Chapter 22

The night Noah died...

I couldn't do it.

Breath. Breath. Breath.

I chanted slowly to myself. I didn't see that. It was not happening. None of this was happening right now.

It's a bad dream—a horrible, horrible nightmare.

I just needed to wake up. That's it.

Wake up, Storm. Wake up.

Noah is okay. He is entirely okay, and tomorrow he will be here to take me to school.

But none of this happened. I didn't wake up. It wasn't the next morning. He wasn't here to pick me up.

He never will be here because my Noah is dead.

He is lying there in front of my eyes, and I felt everything in me shatter into pieces.

I walked over to him. Liam held him tight in his arms, and I watched him cry for the first time. He wept over his best friend that lay unconscious.

As I walked closer to him, my legs gave out, and I fell next to him. The tears. began forming, but it felt like I wasn't crying enough.

Liam looked over at me and didn't say anything, but I saw the way his face turn into pure hatred. Every inch of him hated me even more than he hated me before.

"You did this," He spat. "You killed him," and with that, I knew it was over.  It was completely over because he would not let me hold him. He wouldn't even let me see him.

"Liam, please," I pleaded. "I want him. I want to hold him, please,"

"No!" he snapped. "You don't have any rights to hold him. You did this. Leave,"

"I can't. Please, you can do whatever you want to me later, but please. I am begging," I cried out to him. But he showed me no mercy and only yelled at me to leave.

I felt hopeless, and I felt weak, and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't stop crying. I knew my life was over now, and I will never be the same with him gone.

-

One month after...

"You have to eat, Storm," My mom said. But I could barely even move.

I didn't want to do anything. I didn't have the motivation to even get out of bed. Everything just felt impossible, and the only thing I could now do was cry my eyes out.

"I'll eat later," I told her. I heard her sigh and leave my room quietly.

I knew my parents were worried about me. They wanted me to be okay, but I couldn't do anything. I was barely able to function. And no matter how much I wanted to be me again, I felt nothing.

A part of me is gone, and I found no purpose in doing anything anymore.

He was gone because of me. I should have been the one that was supposed to be dead but instead, he is.

The guy that showed me what true love felt like and the man that made me love myself was gone, and no matter how much I cried and begged for him to come back, he is not going to come back.

His best friends hate me. Everyone at school hates me, and his family can barely look at me without the pitiful look in his eyes.

Every day I'm reminded of the most precious thing I had lost, and Liam is there to make sure I suffer through it all.