Just a oneshot I wrote

Maddy here, so, this oneshot is just something I wrote a while back and never published. Then I decided — who cares? I should just publish it.

Takes place in the Hatchetfield universe, well before Black Friday takes place, and centers around how Lex and Hannah meet Ethan. (Honestly, even though they're very chaotic, it's actually a really good ship in my opinion.) So, read on, and I hope you enjoy.

(Underage smoking, but this is Lex and Ethan we're talking about)

Lex Foster sat on the brick wall outside of Hitchetfield High, a cigarette between her lips, and tears streaming down her face. Her little sister, Hannah, sat atop the slide at the playground nearby, making no indication that she had any intention to go down it. 

“You a freshman too?”

Lex looked up and lowered the cigarette. A boy about her age, fourteen or so, stood in front of her. He wore a leather jacket, despite it being September, and a lopsided grin on his face. “Yeah, you?”

The boy plopped himself beside her while nodding, “Ethan Green.” He glanced at the cigarette she was holding, “You got another one of those?”

Lex pulled out a pack of cigarettes and a cigarette lighter and handed it to him, “I’m Lex Foster.”

Ethan lit a cigarette, and handed back the pack and the lighter. “Orientation ended an hour ago, why are you still here?”

“I could ask you the same.”

“But I asked you first,” countered Ethan.

Lex pointed to where Hannah was. She was now standing, and saying loudly about how Webby should be the first down the slide. “My sister’s playing. Webby’s her imaginary friend.”

 “Come on, you were crying before I got here, and I’m assuming it doesn’t have to do with your sister.”

Lex took a deep breath, before blowing out smoke, “I don’t want to go home to our trailer. Our mom’s not in the best shape, mentally.”

Ethan frowned, “Why don’t you, me and Hannah run away when we’re big?”

“We just met,” Lex pointed out.

“Doesn’t matter. You're nice and caring, and I can already tell I like you, and we can save money starting now!”
Lex extinguished her cigarette, and jumped off the wall to put it in the cigarette can in front of the school. “That’s crazy enough that I might just 
be on board. Where’d we go?”

“Where do you want to go?”

“I always wanted to be an actress,” said Lex thoughtfully.

“That’s it then,” Ethan exclaimed, “We’re going to California!”

Lex gave a small chuckle, but didn’t reply because Hannah came bolting down to the wall. The girl stopped, winded and terrified, yelling, “Go, now!”

Lex knelt in front of her sister, “What’s wrong, Banana?” 

“Webby says bad. Park is bad. Home now.” trembled Hannah. She had tears streaming down her face.

Ethan, sensing her discomfort, jumped down from the wall. “Hey, Hannah, is it? My name’s Ethan. Can you tell me why Webby says the park is bad?”

“Danger,” cried Hannah, “Cross. Bad blood.”

“Why don’t we go to the candy store down the street,” suggested Lex, “Does Webby like the candy store?”

Hannah stayed quiet for a minute before nodding slowly.

“Good, let’s go. You coming, Ethan?”

Ethan shook his head, “My dad’s coming to get me. I was late because of detention.”

“On Orientation?”

Ethan shrugged, “Don’t question it. So, see you tomorrow, Lex? And see you around, Banana Split.”

“Banana Split?” whispered Hannah.

“You’re nickname. You like it?”

Hannah nodded quickly.

Lex gave Ethan a small hug, “See you tomorrow then, Ethan? Thanks for the small talk, even if it wasn’t much I feel a little better now.”

“No problem at all. California won’t know what hit it when Ethan, Lex, and Hannah arrive.”