Chapter Seventeen

"How is she?" Derek asked as soon as Miranda stepped out of the room, everyone else stood closely behind him.

"We've got her heartbeat back, but she's still sleeping. It took us a long time to get her temperature back up, we hope that's why it took so long to get a heartbeat and that there's no other issues. She's going to be moved up to a patient room and even though visiting hours are long over, I know I have no chance of making any of you leave." Miranda explained.

Everyone thank her profusely and Derek rushed into the room, placing a kiss on Meredith's forehead and thanking her continuously for not dying. Ashley craned her neck round to look into the room and was amazed at how it looked, but Meredith's limp body on the table made her eyes well with tears.

"She's going to be okay, right?" She asked Miranda, aside from everyone else.

"Hopefully she's out of the woods sweetie, do you not want to get some sleep?"

"I want to make sure Meredith's okay before I go anywhere." Ashley insisted. "Thank you."

Miranda smiled as the teenager followed Meredith's bed, with her father, down the corridors and to the elevator. When she first met Meredith, she never would have expected to see her in such a loving relationship with a man who had a teenage daughter, but all those years later the scene was right in front of her.

Once they arrived at her room , Ashley was quick to fall onto the couch as it was nearing 11pm and after a full day of school she was exhausted. Derek was tired as well, pulling a chair up next to Meredith's bed and taking her hand in his, stroking his thumb over the back of it.

"Okay Dad, I love you and all, but please can you shower. You literally stink of ferryboat water. I know you want to be here for Meredith when she wakes up, but she really won't appreciate the smell." Ashley said over the silence.

Derek's mouth just dropped open at the cheek from his daughter, unsure of quiet how to respond and ready to come up with some witty reply. But the beep of a machine reminded him of why he genuinely didn't want to leave.

"Ash, I promise I will, once she wakes up."

"No, go do it now, because then you'll argue that you don't want to leave her whilst she's awake. I know Alex and Jo are still here, and I think Lexie is hovering a few rooms down, so if anything happens I will get one of them to page you." Ashley argued, practically pushing her father out of the door. "Oh and on the way back, can you get us some food from a vending machine?"

Ashley resumed her father's position in the chair next to Meredith's bed, watching the rise and fall of her chest, as she reassured herself that Meredith was okay. There was silence in the room for a while, until a small cough left Meredith's lips and her eyes started to flutter open.

"Meredith? Oh my gosh you're okay, let me get Lexie to page my Dad." Ashley said standing up snd going over to the door.

"Wait." Meredith rasped, stopping her in her tracks.

"He's gone for a shower, he wanted to be paged when you wake up."

"Water, please." Meredith asked through her dry throat.

Confused as to why Meredith didn't want to page Derek, Ashley walked over and poured a small cup of water, passing it over  to Meredith, who gratefully sipped at it. There was no conversation between them as Meredith came to and realised what had happened.

"Do you want me to get someone to page my Dad now?"

"Ashley, something happened. And I want you to know that I will always be here for you, but just please whatever happens don't be mad at your Dad."