Chapter Thirty One

"Derek." Meredith called in a hush tone from one of the on call rooms.

Fortunately, her call only caught the attention of him and Alex, so he shrugged his shoulders acting oblivious before slipping into the room.

"Pregnancy hormones already?" He asked locking the door and walking behind her to kiss her neck, instigating a quickie.

"What?! No!" She said quickly, turning around and slapping him playfully. "I'm fine with stabbing other people with needles but I can't do it to myself. Will you take my blood for me?"

Remembering her dislike to having her blood taken, Derek sat the both of them down on the bed and although he could not offer her his hand, he placed her hand on his thigh indicating that she could squeeze to get through the fear. He was quick to do it and in a matter of minutes the needle was ready to be disposed of in the bin just outside and being the cheesy romance, Derek kissed were he had taken the blood, making Meredith just roll her eyes.

"Seriously though, pregnancy hormones all okay today? No need to vomit everywhere, or crazy cravings?"

"Nope, although I might avoid the canteen at lunch, the thought of all of that food, just no." She shivered.

"On call room three on floor four at 1pm, it's a date, I'll bring something up for you."

"I knew there's a reason we keep you around." Meredith laughed as she ran her hand quickly over her stomach.

"I love you." Derek said, his hand following hers and placing a quick kiss on her lips, before disappearing from behind the door.

A couple of minutes later, Meredith followed him and kept the blood sample and forms hidden in her pocket. Alex was stood at the nurses station in the same way he was when Derek entered, and despite her efforts to walk away without him noticing, Alex was quick to catch up with Meredith and walk along side her.

"No sex hair and no crumpled clothes. What else happens in on call rooms besides sex?" He asked, receiving a glare off of Meredith.

"Some people are mature adults Alex, we don't think about sex all the time."

"I'm a mature adult." Alex said, which made Meredith briefly stop walking and raise her eyebrows at him. "Fine, I'm more mature than when we met, and I've become so mature that I'm even considering asking Jo to move in me."

"Really? That's great oh my gosh."

"Yeah yeah, whatever don't go all mushy on me about it. Also, thanks for the choice of dress colour, Jo looks hot in it." He said, turning the corner to walk to a consult.

While being happy for her friend, Meredith couldn't help but roll her eyes at his consistent teenage boy attitude. She then made a bee line for the lab to hand her blood in under Jane Doe, not wanting to draw any attention to herself, before returning to some research regarding a patient.

When lunch came around, she found herself hungrier than she had been in a long time, but also exhausted and ready to sleep for a day, despite the eight hours left of her shift. As promised, Derek met her in the on call room, with baguettes from the canteen for the both of them and a small jar of pickles and a couple of travel packets of jam.

"You know the canteen staff gave me some very strange looks when I asked them for pickles and jam."

"Well I'm very grateful for them." Meredith said as she sat down opposite to him on the bed.

Their lunch was finished within a matter of minutes, as they spent the time in a comfortable silence, Meredith practically inhaling her food. As she was going to stand up, a wave of weariness washed over her, and she slowly closed her eyes to centre herself before walking away from the bed.

"Nope, you're lying down. I don't care if it's for just ten minutes, or better yet if you take an hour. Just close your eyes and get some rest."

"Are you going to be this protective for nine months?" Meredith sighed, but sat back down knowing it was best.

"Yep and everyday after that." Derek confirmed, before the chime of Meredith's pager filled the room.

"I need to get my blood results before anyone asks why I've suddenly got a Jane Doe patient, so I'll lie down later."

"Meredith." Derek warned, pushing her gently back onto the bed. "I'll go pick them up and then come back here so we can open them up. Just sleep for however long it takes me."

Although she wanted to argue back, Meredith barely had the energy to do so, not to mention the soft glare that Derek was giving her. She grimaced at him jokingly, before wrapping the covers around her and letting her head rest upon her pillow.

Twenty minutes later, Derek arrived back at the on call room and opened the door to see Meredith asleep in the same position that he had left her in. He sat on the edge of her bad, running his fingers up her leg lightly, allowing her to get the sleep she clearly needed.

A further ten minutes had passed and then another five, and with each minute the anticipation of opening the blood work was eating away at Derek. Even though he knew what the results would show, he was excited to have the official medical forms to confirm Meredith was pregnant and then they could book an ultrasound for later in the week.

After she had been asleep for nearing forty minutes, Derek ran his hand over Meredith's head, brushing her hair away from her face and kissing her. She came to groggily, taking in her surroundings and then the envelope that Derek held in his hand, she leaned forward and practically grabbed it from his hand, ripping it open.

Just as they had expected, the results showed elevated HCG levels, however they were much higher than they were at what was thought to be a five week pregnancy. Her eyes flashed with fear as they met Derek and although he tried to hide the emotion from his, it was mirrored identical.

"You must be a little further along than we thought." Derek said with a small laugh.

"No, what if somethings wrong? What if I didn't realise soon enough, I had wine over the holidays and I could have done something wrong."

"Meredith, I promise, everything will be fine. You only had two glasses a day max, because you were still coming off the pain medication from the accident. Trust me, it will be just perfect."

Whilst she remained hesitant about his promise, Meredith tried her hardest to believe him, and so after another five minutes spent in the on call room they went about their separate ways. She booked an OBGYN appointment for later in the week and even though Meredith wanted to run and tell Lexie or Cristina everything, she kept her mouth shut as that part of her remained in fear that not everything was perfect.