The A

Rue

Loud banging brushed through the windows and echoed in her ears, making Rue shoot up in terror. She groaned from the construction work that was happening down the streets of Manhattan after the alien attack two weeks prior.

Her alarm rang of the annoying opening sound and she sighed of the two minutes she could've had of sleep. Finally getting out of bed, her feet touched the cold floors of her modern apartment and she stumbled into the bathroom.

She picked at the gunk underneath her white nails she had got done and washed her light brown hands. Cupping the running water to splash on her darker face, she dried off and began to apply makeup.

From the fifty shades of brown that covered her skin, she was able to find the perfect shade for her face. The brow gel was light on her thick eyebrows and kept her eyelids bare but added mascara to define her eyelashes that twinkled over her brown eyes. She outlined her medium-sized mouth with a lipliner and squeezed gloss onto it.

Completing it with blush on her cheekbones and setting spray, she straightened the bob of a black wig that was glued down to her head. She went over to her wardrobe and picked out suit pants and a blue blouse, putting them on with a blazer.

Leaving her room, she walked through the living room, grabbed her purse, and threw on an overcoat. Because of her lengthy height, she didn't want to tower over her boss and wore flats. When she reached the lobby, she waved at the front desk manager and went out of the doors, turning a few corners to the major street.

"Taxi!" she called out, waving a finger.

The yellow car stopped on the curb and she got in.

"Stark Tower," she said.

He nodded with his black cap and honked the horn to return to the inner lane.

She sat quietly on her phone when the driver shouted to hurry up and she lifted her head to see the smooth drive had been stopped for construction. Horns honked incessantly and the man turned around.

"Traffic's holdin' up."

"It's fine," she faintly smiled.

She looked through the window to see the tower up ahead and added, "I'm not late so I'll walk."

She quickly handed him cash and emerged from the vehicle, skipping across the street and to the sidewalk.

Her quick pace slowed into a struck as she moved down the busy walkway where people were rushing to work. She was ready after the paid vacation regarding the Attack on Midtown, Manhattan and she was returning as Happy Hogan's personal assistant. Although he was her boss, he had his own; the owner of the enterprise, Tony Stark.

She took a stop at the usual coffee shop where she stood in the short line. The person in front of her was taking long and patiently waited when she felt the line grow longer. Maybe she was lucky.

"Next," the employee called out.

"I'd like a coffee with soy and sugar," she said. "And I will pay for the person behind me."

"Name?"

"Rue."

The worker calculated the total on the register and she paid eight dollars for two drinks before taking a seat. She received an email from Happy making sure she was going to be there.

'I'm coming' she returned.

"Rue," her name was shouted.

She stood going to the counter to find they had imperfectly spelt, 'Rew' on her cup and took it. With a sip of the hot drink, she left the café and sped walk down the concrete.