chapter fourteen

We made our way through the fourth floor. Markus was two steps behind me since Annabeth left. People continued to stare in our direction, mainly at him — admiring his physique — while others gave me a second glance probably wondering why such a man would be following me.

Markus seemed to ignore every one of their stares because I felt his throughout. Shivers traveled through my body. Sweat began to compile at my palms. I had always been wary with boys and men — knowing all the horrible things they were capable of doing. I knew women could do just as horrible but you never walked around fearing what another girl or woman would do to you unless you had gone through something traumatic. There was a constant fear of men in females from the day they are born.

Having gone through all that I did it only made it worse.

When nothing caught my eye, I decided to descend to the third floor. I knew Markus was still keeping a close eye on me. Wanting to put some distance between us, I sped up once I stepped off the escalator.

Markus called after me, but I sped my pace. I made my way through a small crowd and into another hall of stores. Just leave me alone.

I looked around. Seeing if anything caught my eye and caught my breath. My feet moved before my mind could register what I was seeing.

Hayley.

I frowned when I saw an elderly woman with her and another girl around Hayley's age. They had the same all black attire. Their hairs were tied back into low buns. They each carried a few bags.

I heard Markus voice, but didn't look back. I made my way through the crowds.

"Hayley!" I called out.

She immediately began to look back but stopped herself when the elderly woman told her something. They quickly began to walk away. The elderly woman was now speaking to the other girl. The girl then nodded.

They made their way into a nearby store.

By the time I got to the store, they were gone. I panicked and headed towards the back of the store. "Hayley!"

"Excuse me miss!" I stopped and turned to look at sales associate. She made her way towards me. "Is everything okay?"

"Did you see three women enter just now? One was quite elderly but the other two were about my age."

"I'm sorry ma'am. We get so many customers it's hard to keep track of everyone." She looked around the store. "I don't seem to see the people you're describing."

"Alaina!" I turned to find an angry Markus making his way towards me. "You know you're not supposed to leave my sight." He said once he was in front of me.

The sales associate excused herself and went to greet a couple that had entered the store.

"No, your job is to keep up with me." I snapped back. I was not about to let Markus lecture me.

I glanced around the store one more time. The frown on my face deepened and the ends of my lips curled down. I saw her. She was here. I'm not crazy.

"Let's go."

I froze when Markus wrapped an arm around my waist. I allowed myself to follow his lead as he guided me to the entrance of the store. The moment we stepped through the doors, I removed myself from his hold. His eyebrows furrowed and his lips let out a sigh.

"Are you hungry?" He asked.

"I just want to be left alone."

"You know I can't do that."