two

chapter 2; katie

It wasn't long after Agent Hotchner and I entered the room that others soon followed. All the agents I had read about was there, besides SSA Rossi. They seemed to effortlessly fall into place, each having an unassigned assigned seat at the table. As they entered, they gave me a nod, but didn't say much until everyone had entered. They didn't seem too excited to have me there, perhaps because that was about the other agents I read about, those who didn't stick around for long. Agent Smith didn't do well in the field, Agent Roswell was sexist, and Agent Nelson got married and moved to a field office in Idaho, I can only imagine that is the most boring post available.

"Let's get started." Agent Hotchner's voice commanded the room. Although he was a stoic type, you can tell from the inflections in his voice that he cared fondly for his team. While in his office, he talked about many of their accomplishments and amiable qualities.

"I'd like to introduce Dr. Adeline Ripper. She comes to us right out of school with impressive credentials, and she will now be a part of our team." Agent Hotchner nodded at his team, silently telling them to behave.

"What did you go to school for?" Agent Morgan asked. I grinned, happy to boast a little. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was proud of myself for my accomplishments.

"I have a Ph.D in Psychology and Chemistry with a Masters in Sociology, and I'm working towards a B. A in philosophy." I said, relishing in the fact I've taken them by surprise. 

"I've also passed the bar, but I have no interest in law, it was purely to see if I could." Agent Morgan let out a low whistle, showing his shock.

"What about you all?" I asked, now feeling a little singled out. Although I knew the answers, I didn't want to seem rude. Some people don't react well to others who assume they are better then others.

They all looked around at each other, unsure of what to say. Agent Hotchner was about to have us move on when he was interrupted.

"Ph.D.s in Mathematics and Chemistry, as well as B.A degrees in Psychology and Sociology." Dr. Reid said, taking his eyes off the table to meet mine. If I didn't know better, I'd say I saw a hint of challenge in his eyes. 

"Don't you also have a Ph.D in Engineering, Dr. Reid? And I also thought you were following in my steps and getting a B.A in philosophy also." I trailed off, letting him know I caught onto his attempt to throw me off. He held my gaze for a little longer, seeing if I'll break first. It was a typical alpha move, which I have no interest in playing. I send him my brightest smile before turning to the group.

"I'm excited to work with you all. I've always admired all of your work that each of you has done in and out of the BAU. I hope to get to know each of you better." Everyone in the team smiled at that, well, besides Dr. Reid. 

~~~

Garcia completed the briefing and we were soon loading into our cars. A half an hour north from here was a mall where a little girl went missing, and we have been tasked with finding her along with the bureaus rapid deployment team. Just a week earlier another little girl had been taken and killed, so speed was important in case these two were connected.

As soon as we parked, everyone jumped out and ran inside. Time was of the essence when a child was involved. Agent Hotchner greeted a man when we walked in.

"We've been in lockdown for almost 20 minutes. My team's already in motion." The man said. From his shirt I could tell he was from the rapid deployment team.

"Another female, same age, same time of day, taken from essentially the same location. What makes you sure Katie Jacobs is still in the building?" Agent Prentiss asked.

"Whoever killed Jessica Davis last week left that mall with her because he wanted time with his victim in privacy." Dr. Reid informed him.

"Assuming it's the same offender, he wouldn't stray from his M. O. He wouldn't leave here without his victim." Agent Hotchner added to Dr. Reid, the conversation helping to carry our thoughts to possible outcomes.

"So if Katie's still under this roof, so is her abductor." Agent Jareau said, finalizing the sense of urgency.

"Garcia, report to the mall's security office. Reid, Morgan, I want you to find the head of security. We need all data from every search team. You guys start with Katie's parents. We'll treat the mall like a neighborhood,  and we'll separate into areas of control. Come on." With directions out from the unit chief, we all fell into our rolls and separated. Agents Prentiss, Jareau and I went to start with the parents, and was briefed by an officer on the way.

"Katie was last seen by her cousin in the arcade about 25 minutes ago. She was wearing jeans, a green shirt, gray sneakers, and ponytails." She informed us. Another officer came up to us, showing us a list of registered offenders in the area.

"Run this with all current and former employees, please." I told the officer. He nodded and split away from us. We were led to where Katie's parents were standing, away from everyone else in the mall.

"Hi, we're Agents Jareau, Prentiss and Dr. Ripper. You must be the aunt and uncle." Agent Jareau said, nodding at the two people who joined us.

"We are here to walk you through this." She said reassuringly, and the parents relaxed a little at the sound of her voice. I could tell that she gained a lot of skills as the communication liaison. I turned around from the parents, scanning the crowd and looking for anything obvious.

After talking with the parents for a few moments more, Prentiss got a call letting us know that they would like the parents in the security room. The mall was loud with frenzied guests, making the atmosphere feel different. I hope we were right and she was still in this mall, and we aren't wasting our time.