23. Conflict

We stay for little over an hour at the California, whose name makes more sense as Katy goes on to explain that most of her stolen albums were from Katy Perry. I don’t have much heart for the conversation though, as the two friends' banter and Katy humors Lee into thinking she’ll launch inquiries after Otis’s identity.

In fact, there’s so much from Katy’s story that sickens me with worry that I absorb very little that they say at all.

I knew the creatures that populate the Edifice were dangerous. A minute with Otis was enough to convince me he was powerful enough to be some kind of deity. But factoring a rich family and richer friends into the mix makes the situation simply overwhelming. Would he really hurt me if I chased him down? Would he hurt Lee?

I don’t see what choice I have, if I want to get back to Earth.

Katy’s last words stick with me just as much.

“Why didn’t you tell me you’d sold your soul?” I hound on Lee as we eventually make our way from the California, leaving Katy to her social calendar. He looks away as the valet brings him his jacket, refusing to meet my eyes.

“Because I don’t want you comparing our circumstances,” He replies. “I made a legal, contractual deal with my best friend. You kissed the stranger who kidnapped you at a 7-11.”

“But I’ve been so worried that I was going to die or something,” I complain, gesturing to him. “And look at you. You’re normal, still! I thought I’d turn into some sort of freaky demon person.”

“I’m not normal,” Lee snaps. He grips my shoulder tight as we exit the way we came, flicking a wink at the unimpressed bouncer. “Olivia, I- Olivia?”

I freeze as I stare at the line of those waiting to be checked through the guest list to enter. It’s much longer now, most of the paparazzi having left content with the latest Katy Perry scandal. Whether this new, much younger crowd has only arrived because they’re less likely to appear on camera, or have simply been off pre-drinking, I have no idea.

All I know is there’s a familiar, sunset-pink succubus waiting in the group at the back of the line.

“Nim!”

My heels clatter on the marble steps as I race to the group, hearing Lee take up pursuit behind me. Spiraling relief has me in its grips as I get closer and recognize her properly. As gorgeous as ever, she’s a vision in a skin tight red dress, tucked away beneath someone’s arm. She glances over casually as I cry out again, eyes widening first in shock and then quickly dawning dread.

“Olivia... Olivia, wait,” Lee calls, voice rising slightly. His footsteps slow apprehensively.

“Nim, why the hell did you block me? I was the only one who stayed with you last night. Now you won’t even help me find Otis?” It might have been the three wickedly strong cocktails Katy had plied me with, but I feel as much anger at Nim’s pettiness as I do relief to see her.

“I’m sorry, who are you?” she squeaks nervously, taking a few steps back at my approach. “I think I’d remember if a human tried anything with me.”

Olivia,” Lee growls.

“What are you talking about, Nim? You were there with Otis when... when...”

Realization is slow to hit, but oh boy does it hit.

The air here is electric. The temperature and tension of a summer storm, broiling just feet away from me. The flesh of my arms prickles urgently as Nim’s companion slowly turns to face me, sending a wave of scalding heat over my skin. He withdraws his arm from Nim’s shoulder, draws himself to his full height. Barely taller than me, the same size  and age group as Otis, he seems to tower over Lee and I through sheer gravity alone.