13 | Trevor

Part Fourteen:
A Little Half Confession

If I was being completely honest with myself, the distance between Milly and I was becoming concerning. It had been days since she had stayed at my house, and since then, her replies to my text had been reduced to single words and she avoided me in the halls at school. At first, I hadn't thought much of it. Maybe she was just stressed or on her monthlies, I certainly knew how she got when she was broadcasting Shark Week. Yeesh. But by day three I had been overthinking so much that I'd fallen into a state of mild panic.

She wouldn't talk to, wouldn't look at me, hell, she wouldn't even breathe near me. I had no idea what the shit was going on, but by Friday afternoon exactly an entire week later I was going to find out.

I threw a jacket over my shoulders before pushing my way out my front door and stomping across the road to Milly's house. A shiver ran down my spine as the first of many cool autumn breezes fluttered it's way across my skin. It was only the first week of October, and already, it was freezing cold in amongst the city scape of our town.

Maybe I had just become accustomed to summer, and my body was simply just rejecting the cold air because it wanted the warmth to continue forever. I somehow imagined Milly would disagree. I could easily see her rugged up in her favourite coat, a big woolly scarf wrapped around her neck, her little hands red raw and shivering from the cold. But she'd have this adorable grin on her lips as she buried her face into her scarf, her eyes glimmering with happiness.

A smile of my own spread across my lips at the thought, and suddenly I couldn't wait to spend winters with her.

I leaned up against her porch steps, sending her a quick text that could have been taken several ways, though I was hoping she'd find it endearing. My eyes flickered endlessly up from my phone and towards her front door, hoping I'd see her yank the door opened any moment now, and hopefully find her way into my arms where she so rightfully belonged.

When a full ten minutes passed, and there was still no sight of the girl I desperately wanted to see, I sighed deeply, deciding to call it quits and made my way to school with a heavy heart and slumped shoulders.

I don't even understand what had happened. One moment she was asking to stay over, and burying herself like a small burrito in my arms, and the next she was distancing herself as far away from me as she could physically get.

A full day passed without even a glance in my direction from the shorter girl, and by the time the final bell had sounded, I was beyond restless. I could hardly sit still in my chair, and my knee was bouncing so quickly while I put my skates on in the locker rooms, that Jack physically had to slap his hand on my thigh to stop it from moving.

"Dude," he grumbled. "Chill out. What's gotten into you today? You've been a nervous wreck since this morning."

Rubbing a hand over my face in an exasperated manner, I sighed deeply before giving in, and told my best friend what was up.

"She won't even look at me, bro," I mumbled, chewing on the inside of my cheek as I brought a hand up to rub the back of my neck. "Hasn't for like . . . three days."

"Who?" Jack asked, his eyebrows furrowed as he pulled his jersey over his head and adjusted it around his torso.

I gulped. "Milly."

"Milly?" Jack asked, raising a single eyebrow. "Still hung up on her?"

I scoffed, standing to my feet and towering over the boy with a slight frown. "I'm not hung up on her, genius. She's just a really good friend."

"Whatever, man," Jack teased, ruffling a hand through my already tousled locks from constantly running my hands through it stressfully throughout the day. "Let's just play some hockey, yeah?"