14 | Milly

Part Fourteen:
A Little Ride Home

Trevor's arm felt beyond amazing around my shoulders, and the feeling of his lean waist against my hand felt even better. I leaned into the taller boy, a shy grin on my lips as he gazed down at me affectionately, guiding us towards his car.

The sound of heavy footsteps approaching behind us were becoming louder and louder, fast. I peaked over my shoulder, catching a glimpse of the last person I had expected to see running towards Trevor and I on a school afternoon.

Still sporting his hockey base layers from training, Jack came barrelling towards us, his breathing ragged and a bead of sweat dripping down his forehead.

I pulled myself out of Trevor's tight grip, earning a confused frown from the boy, to which I replied with a nod in the approaching boys direction. Trevor turned to face his best friend, the expression he held a mixture of anxiety and annoyance. I wondered briefly why Trevor would feel that way about a boy he had proved, on more than one occasion, that he adored.

"Jones," Jack called out, his words tumbling unevenly from his lips with each deep breath. "Wa-it up!"

I came to a complete stop, turning my attention to face him head on. He approached with both hands behind his head, as if trying to work off a stitch, taking deep gasps in order to catch his breath.

How long had he been running?

"Hey, bro," Trevor grinned, though his tone made his statement come out as more of a question. "What's up?"

"Wan-ted to catch Milly," he breathed, clearing his throat before taking one last hindered breath. He brought his arms back down to his hips, standing in a way that accentuated his biceps and chest. "Hi, sorry. Milly, do you have a second?"

I lifted my chin to face Trevor, my eyes wide with a question that even I wasn't sure I knew the answer to. Was I looking at the taller boy because I was confused as to why my long term crush was approaching me now, or was I gazing at him in such a way because I was asking for permission? Either way, Trevor chuckled sweetly, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Don't look at me," he shrugged. "You can do whatever you like."

I turned back to the dark haired boy to catch him glancing at me with a gentle smile and soft, lazy eyes. Oh man, there was no way I could say no to him when he was looking at me like that.

I bit my lip softly. "Sure, Jack."

Placing my backpack on the floor beside Trevor's feet, I allowed Jack to lead me back towards the gym, watching the way the muscles in his shoulders moved as he went. He seemed tense, or nervous, somehow.

With one final glance back at Trevor, I caught him kicking at dirt on the ground, his hands in his pockets and a somewhat sad pout on his lips. My heart constricted in my chest, and I almost turned right back around, completely ignoring the boy I was so content on following and throwing myself in the strong arms of the blond haired boy in my wake.

But before I could so much as take a step back in the direction of the boy plaguing my mind, Jack spoke up.

"This is probably strange," he admitted, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly as he shifted from one foot to the other. "But I was just wondering if you wanted a lift home from me?"

My cheeks burned an awful shade of cherry red, and my heart hammered painfully in my chest. It was so loud I was positive Jack could hear it, but if he noticed, he didn't say anything.

"A . . . lift home?" I asked, my voice barely audible as I tried to suppress the image of Trevor's sad blue eyes from my mind.

Why had he looked so sad?