22 | Milly

Part Twenty Two:
A Little Forbidden

I knocked on Trevor's front door harshly, still upset this morning that I hadn't heard from him since yesterday afternoon when he had left me to fend for myself with Jack. Who, by the way, had cornered me in the busy hall and asked me on a date. A date I would have been beyond excited for six months ago, but honestly, it was a date I couldn't care less about now.

I brought my hands up to knock once more, only for the door to be swung open suddenly, an exhausted Trevor on the other side.

Not being able to hold back the sudden surprise I was feeling at being confronted by such a sad expression on the boys face, I turned my gaze elsewhere, feeling my cheeks burn as I crossed my arms over my chest, guarding myself self consciously.

Trevor's lips broke out into a lazy grin as he leaned against the doorway as casually as he could. I knew something was up, I could see it in the redness of his eyes, and especially after having been ignored by him all night, I guessed it had something to do with me.

"It is because I said yes to Jack?" I asked, not even bothering with pleasantries or a simple hello. "Because it wasn't like he gave me much of a choice. Besides, he told me you were the one to convince him to ask in the first place. Now I'm stuck going on a date I'm not even sure I want to go on."

Rolling his eyes, Trevor shook his head in disbelief before strolling back into the depths of his home, leaving the door wide open for me to follow closely behind.

"You're not gonna say anything?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

Sighed deeply, Trevor came to a stop by the fridge. He pulled it open, fishing for some milk before reaching through the cupboard for some cereal. Trevor hated cereal. Pouring himself a bowl, he kept the blank expression on his sleepy face before flickering his gaze to reach mine. "You look pretty today, babe."

Groaning in mild agitation, I tossed my head back before turning on my heels and storming right back out of his house, slamming the front door closed behind me and leaving Trevor to rub an exasperated hand over his face in my wake.

What I hadn't anticipated, was for the boy in sweats and a hoodie to follow right after me, a look of determination in his eyes that matched whenever he was in the final moments of a hockey game. He grumbled a slew of choice words under his breath as I stomped my way towards my own front door, jogging to catch the hardwood before it could close in his face.

"Milly," he breathed, walking right in after me. My mother looked up from her morning coffee with a scowl, but Trevor and I came and went faster then she could process. Catching my wrist in his much larger hand, he forced me to pause at the foot of my staircase. "Wait."

I yanked my wrist form his hold, glaring at him harshly before stomping up the stairs two at a time and throwing myself crankily on the edge of my bed. I crossed my arms over my best, knowing damn well that Trevor was right behind me, and that there was no way I could escape him, even if I tried.

"Milly," he groaned, slumping down in the space beside me. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. I'm just . . . I don't know what I'm feeling, actually."

"I do," I admitted, scowling deeply as I glared up at him. "I'm annoyed that you'd tell Jack I liked him."

"Don't you still?" he asked, chewing the inside of his cheek.

Tossing my hands in the air, I scoffed. "What the hell do you think, Trevor?"

He glanced at the open door of my bedroom, thinking for a moment before seeming to come to an internal decision and standing quickly to shut it. He placed himself on his knees before me, his eyebrows pulled together and his lips turned down in a frown.