𝑜𝓃𝑒

WARNING: rape, violence, abuse

➽──────────────────────────────────────────❥

Hacking through bushes of thorns and thickets, I will my legs to keep going, although they feel like stone. The sun glares down, teasing my dire thirst. Just a little longer. Just a little more mindless, endless wandering, and I'll find some water. Maybe.

Don't think about the maybe's.

Instead, I focus on the one person I've promised to survive for. Our last conversation, just seconds before I was whisked away to this eternal paradise.

Not last, Rissa, not the last conversation.

I can still hear the sweet nothings he whispered into my ear, secret from the Capitol's prying ears and eyes.

"focus on your end goal, not what might or might not happen.... come out alive, for me." He whispered

"I love you, Nerissa Alvaro, remember that." As friends, I think. Heck, as a sister even. Little does he know, all I want is to push his pretty face onto mine and taste his sugar-coated lips, to caress the man I would die for everyday. Arguably, yes, like every other woman also desires.

"Forgetting your charming self would be quite the struggle, even for someone as strong as me, Odair."

"Nevertheless... I lo-" I start to say it back, it's only polite? Not to mention that its not very far from the truth.

"Stop. Don't say it." I'm cut off and start to regret my almost-confession. Fin and me, we've been best friends since birth, talk about our love for each other wasn't new. But this time, it was different. I'm literally lying on my deathbed, even though he would never admit it. Despite his undying confidence in me, one trip, one mistake, could cause the end of it all. The end of everything, and Finnick, I don't know how he would take it.

"I want to hear you say it to me, but only when you come back from that arena, Rissa."

One hand on my waist, and one with its fingers softly rubbing circles on my tear-stained cheek. This time it was different. He looked at me as though he was trying to memorize every flaw and every perfection of mine. Never wanting to forget the feeling of me in his hold.

Millions of unspoken words, millions more unspoken actions, but right then, just enjoying the feeling of being with one another. Feeling his heartbeat. Staring at his oceanic eyes, the way they stare into mine and unravel me, so all my weaknesses are left obvious. The way they know everything about me, but still try to solve me like an impossible puzzle. His fingers against my waist make me feel safe, and the ones dancing on my cheek tell me I'm the most precious thing in his world.

A rush of footsteps to my right break me out of my daydream. Acting on instinct, I hurry to hide but realize there's nowhere to conceal myself, my attire, consisting of skintight, dark beige cargo pants, and a darker blue jacket, would have done well to camouflage me in different circumstances. However, my chosen arena just had to be a giant Labyrinth. The Cornucopia is in an open place in the center, whilst the Maze can of course change over time. But the biggest threat here isn't "Willow from District Two", or "Quill from District One". The biggest threat is the Minotaur muttations. I've seen one. I saw one when I turned a corner five minutes ago. Now I'm just praying that I smell so foul that I don't smell human.

A loud growl comes from the end of the passage I stand in. So much for praying. Seven feet tall, bulging biceps and triceps and a bunch of other 'ceps, all stuffed like steel balls under vein-webbed skin. He wears no clothes except underwear—which would look funny, except that the top half of his body is terrifying. Coarse brown hair starting at about his belly button gets thicker as it reaches his shoulders.