less than three

[revised]

I have always enjoyed waking up to a quiet house, but now that I have my own place, it feels lonely.

My limbs ache as I stretch them, kicking off my covers after mindlessly scrolling through Tik Tok for the past hour and a half.

1:34 p.m.

I amble to the kitchen and turn on the coffee machine. When I reach the counter, my vision becomes muddled by purple and yellow stars. I hold my hands firmly on the cool marble to prevent myself from falling over.

"Got up too quick," I groan to myself, squeezing my eyes shut to cease the dancing colors. The low roar of my coffee machine dies down and I take comfort in the stillness for the second time this morning.

You don't see many eighteen-year-olds living alone, but that's what I've decided is best. When Dane finally moved out for university, I knew I couldn't live alone with my father anymore. My mom was remarkably supportive, preaching about how "grown-up" it was to use my money on becoming independent. She offered to take me in while I looked for a place, but I refused. I didn't really want to face my aviophobia for five hours -- all the way to Utah where she lived -- just to return home a few days later.

My phone buzzed, jolting me from my thoughts. I rubbed my eyes and reached over the counter for my phone, loading in a coffee pod.

my one and only<3
streaming soon?

I huff a hair out of my face and snag my finished coffee, opening my phone to reply.

yes in 3 seconds don't get ur panties in a wad🙄 🙄

My phone rings a few seconds later, and I pick it up immediately, setting up for today's stream in my room.

"Ello, love," I say in a horrible accent, sipping my coffee and sighing with contentment at the taste.

"How was the first night at your new pad?" Angie asks.

"It was nice," I mumble, opening my desk dresser to grab my makeup bag and putting my best friend on speaker. "I woke up to a nice, peaceful silence and was able to stay in bed for at least an hour without anyone calling me lazy and useless." I hear Angie snort on the other line. "I'm living the dream."

"Speaking of dreams, did you see the new speedrunner versus hunters video?" Angie asks. I hum excitedly, retracting my coffee from my mouth.

"God that man is so hot, please tell me how placing blocks fast is sexy." I chuckle, starting to carefully draw out my eyeliner.

"You need lots of therapy babe. Lots of it."

"You know I'm right!" I almost smear my eyeliner with my playful yell. I hear Angie laughing again, and I can almost see her smile through the phone.

"I'm more of a Quackity simp myself, at least I know what he looks like," she laughs. I gasp dramatically, placing a hand on my chest even though she can't see.

"Fuck off and die. I'm hanging up now to stream, don't bother showing up," I tease, turning on my monitors and pulling my headphones over my ears. Angie laughs loudly and hangs up before I even get a chance to pick up my phone. I fight to stop a smile from creeping onto my face.

--

"What the fuck?" I scream into my mic, watching my Minecraft player fall into the void after being utterly destroyed in another game of SkyWars. I place my face in my hands and sit there for a moment to be dramatic. I hear a chime from my stream, indicating a donation has come through.