Chapter 30: Full Moon Sacrifice

At that time, the only thing illuminating the tomb passage was the cold light of my phone screen. It was hard to see anything clearly, but we all dazedly stared at the long face lying on the back of Liu Sang's neck. At first glance, it looked like Liu Sang had two heads.

After taking a closer look, we found that it was the head of the thunder god statue. It turned out that its half-broken head actually looked like a face.

Fatty and I went up and kicked Liu Sang to the ground. He was scared half to death and started cursing us for hitting him. Fatty held him down so we could take a closer look. The thunder god's head was hollow and we could see some kind of parasite inside of it. It was biting Liu Sang's neck and he didn't even know it.

Fatty lit a cigarette and pressed his knee down on Liu Sang's shoulder blade before saying to him, "Don't move. The Dragon King has ordered you to go to the palace to be a eunuch. I'll cut him off so we can go back to Mount Huaguo [1]."

Liu Sang immediately understood and didn't dare move. Fatty gave me a look, silently telling me to catch the thunder god's head, and then took out some liquor. He took a sip and sprayed it on the knife before lighting it and pressing the knife to the back of Liu Sang's neck.

Liu Sang's neck was burning, but we couldn't pull the long face off at all and now the air smelled like New Orleans chicken wings.

Just as I was thinking of how strange it was, Fatty became angry and pulled out his gun. I immediately moved to stop him. At such close range, Liu Sang might also be hit by the bullet. Although I didn't like him, I couldn't disregard a human life. But instead of shooting, Fatty used the butt of his gun to tap on the thunder god's head. He had to hit it more than ten times before it finally broke apart.

We thought something terrible would be inside, so we immediately raised our guns and drew our knives. I took a picture with my phone and was absolutely floored.

There was a mass of hair inside the thunder god's shattered head.

We took a step back and saw a face in the hair that looked like Liu Sang's face.

When Liu Sang sat up, he still had that face on the back of his neck.

One was awake and looking at us, while the other one that had been busted out of the thunder god's head looked as dull as a corpse.

"Fatty, are we dreaming?" I asked him.

When he didn't answer me, I turned to look at him and found that he was completely stunned. At this time, I noticed that his clothes were bulging.

"Fatty!" I pointed to his clothes.

He immediately turned sideways and covered it up. "What's wrong?"

"There's something on your back, too," I said.

"No." Fatty shook his head and turned around. "See? There's nothing on my back."

I stared at him for a second before secretly touching my own back. Thankfully, there was nothing there. Fatty's face darkened as he looked at Liu Sang and said, "We have to cut one off."

I looked back at Liu Sang and suddenly felt that his body was wrong. I had studied drawing for a long time and was especially focused on architecture and mechanics. After only a quick look, I found that the neck of the Liu Sang who was staring at us in horror wasn't at the right height. In fact, based on the curvature of his spine, the face on the back of his neck looked to be the correct one.

His head had always leaned more to the side, which seemed very uncomfortable to me.

Countless thoughts came rushing up in an instant and I suddenly remembered when I had dragged Fatty out of the wall. After I had done that, I kept feeling as if something was wrong. And Fatty had said a lot of obviously wrong things.

Things just weren't adding up.

Moreover, I kept feeling a sense of déjà vu as everything happened. It was like I had experienced it all before, whether it was the passageways behind these walls or the faces stuck on the backs of our necks.

"Fatty, let me see your back." I gave him a cold look.

He paused and then glanced at me, "What for?"

I cocked the gun and said, "I don't think our situation is right."

Fatty's expression slowly changed until he was looking at me coldly. Even Liu Sang's frightened expression changed. His face became colder and colder until the two of them suddenly had the same expression. They both looked right at me.

Sure enough, there was a problem.

I immediately broke out in a cold sweat and felt an extreme cold spread from the tips of my fingers. I tried to move my tongue, but found that my whole body was suddenly paralyzed.

I used all my strength to control my tongue and then bit it with my teeth. As a sharp pain instantly spread from the tip of my tongue, Fatty and Liu Sang disappeared from right in front of me and I suddenly found myself in front of a huge eye.

I was still in the burial pit and my cold firework was still burning. The eyes on the murals had become enormous and were looking right at me. I took one last look at the mural.

I knew I had been hallucinating. I could clearly feel the light distortion in the air as the murals seemed to release a kind of gas under the light's glow.

I sneered. The taste of blood in my mouth got thicker and my whole-body paralysis began to fade. I gradually found that I could move my neck, and when I looked down, I found that all the statues in the mud had somehow gathered around me, leaving a long trail in the mud. 

****************************************

Note:

[1] It's a major area featured in the novel "Journey to the West". It's known as the birthplace of Sun Wukong (the Monkey King).