VI - The Avengers Initiative

I was shocked to say the least. I had heard of the Avengers Initiative, but never, never, thought I'd be offered a chance to save people on such a wide scale. Charles was always preaching about all the good mutants could do if we were just accepted more.

"Mr. Fury," I began, but I didn't know what to say. "Could I, erm, convene with my friends before I make a decision?"

"Yes, but only for a few minutes," responded the director. "We have to get back to the Avengers tower to tie up some loose ends from after the battle. You're welcome to come with and we'll be able to get you a private jet back to your home to avoid the damage in the city."

As soon as I shut the door, Dean simply said, "Dude." He grabbed me by the shoulders like a parent would do. "You have to take this opportunity." His face flashed with excitement. "C'mon, Eve. This is really a chance of a lifetime."

Sam had gotten up from his desk and was behind the door with Dean. He had also been listening to Fury's offer. Sam looked down at me, shocked into wordlessness as well.

"I was planning on accepting anyway," I laughed.

"So why are we still talking in here?" Sam said excitedly. "Go, go!" He pushed me towards the door.

Fury stood waiting in the same position, his arms behind his back, his glare from his single eye as strong as ever. Barton shifted on his feet, holding the same stance as the director, impatient.

"Well?" questioned Director Fury.

I held out my hand. "I accept your offer." 

Fury took my hand and shook it, then Barton did the same.

"You'll begin in one month," he stated. "You will be able to continue your schooling here. I'm sure your teachers would gladly send a lesson plan for you to follow while you're working with us."

"Your cover name, when other people ask, and they will ask, is the Stark Internship Program," Barton elaborated. 

This man seemed to read my mind. Of course I'd be more worried about my education than saying the world. But what about Charles . . .

"You'll be able to visit your family and friends regularly," said Fury. "Think of it as an after school program."

Man, he was good.

A sleek black car pulled into the lot and stopped outside of the motel.

"Ready to go?" asked Barton.

I took a deep breath. "Ready as I'll ever be," I said. "Let me grab my things and I'll be out."

I went back into the room and grabbed my bag. Sam and Dean watched me go around and grab my things quickly. Finished packing, I stopped in front of them. They had done so much for me in the few hours I was with them.

"Ready to be a superhero?" asked Sam with a grin.

I smiled, excited. "I'll remember you when I'm famous," I laughed.

"You better, kid," said Dean.

I shifted my bag on my shoulders in anticipation for the journey ahead. I've always hated backpacks because they interfere with my wings and they are nearly impossible to keep on.

"Thank you, guys," I said. "For everything."

"Don't mention it," said Sam.

"Yeah, and don't forget that Sam and Dean Winchester saved your life," laughed Dean.

"And Cas," added Sam.

"And Cas," Dean echoed. He held out his calloused hand. "Don't die."

I shook it. "I'll try my best," I said.

"We'll be watching the news more often!" called Sam as I walked towards the door.

I took a deep breath, readying myself, and stepped out into the daylight. Director Fury, still keeping his stern face, and Hawkeye, lead me towards the shiny car.

Hawkeye went for the passenger side of the car but Fury stopped him. "Sit in the back with her," he instructed.

Barton sighed, not wanting to sit in the back. But Fury was definitely his boss so he reluctantly walked around the car and slid into the seat next to me. He took out his tablet and began playing solitaire and avoiding eye contact, though I didn't mind the silence, really.

The car started forward and the ride was smooth. We drove through the heart of New York. Most of it was destroyed and deserted which gave the whole city an eerie feeling. The city was normally packed full of cars. The only ones that remained were crushed and twisted in unnatural ways.

Finally, our car drove down into the parking garage of the Stark Tower.