XIII - High School

A/N: Follows Spiderman: Homecoming

As the bus unloaded, I followed Peter and Ned off and towards the school doors.

"'Sup, Penis Parker!" called a kid in a convertible as he nearly hit Peter.

I looked to Peter who only clenched his jaw in annoyance.

"You want me to take him out?" I said. "I can take him out."

Ned looked at Peter, waiting for him to take my offer.

"It's fine," Peter mumbled.

Buy your homecoming tickets on sale now,  said a student on the school TV as we walked through the hall.

"You going to that?" asked Peter, shifting his book bag.

By "that" he had meant homecoming.

"Not sure . . ." I started. "I've really never been to a school dance. Don't know how it would go with—ouch—" Someone had stepped on a feather. "My wings," I finished.

"Right, right," Peter said, stopping at his locker.

"Morning, birdie!" someone called teasingly.

"You want me to take him out?" Peter said, repeating me. "I can take him out."

"Har, har," I laughed sarcastically. "It's fine. I'll do it myself later. Besides, we gotta get to Decathlon practice."

"About that . . ." Peter started as we walked into the class.

"Peter, it's nationals," I protested. "The world isn't gonna end anytime soon. We made sure of that."

"I know—"

"Peter, you're not coming to nationals?" Mr. Harrington butt in.

"I can't go to Washington because if Mr. Stark needs me, I need to be here," Peter explained.

"You've never even been in the same room as Tony Stark," Flash spoke up.

I rolled my eyes at him. If only he knew, he'd wipe that smug look off his face.

The class began to protest Peter's choice to not come.

"Flash, that means you're in for Peter," Mr. Harrington decided.

"Oof, I gotta check my schedule," Flash began. "I might have a hot date with Black Widow coming up."

"Puh-lease, Flash," I spoke up. "Both Peter and I have worked with Mr. Stark closely. And I know you'll believe me because I was all over the news a month ago! I didn't see you out there fighting robots with a piece of rebar and a handgun. Do you wanna see the scars, Flash? Huh? Do you not believe me?"

"Alright, Eve, thank you," Mr. Harrington said. "We're all very glad you helped save the city. Right, class?"

There was a collective yes and nervous nodding.

"Okay then, let's move on with the lesson," Mr. Harrington said, clapping his hands together.

Flash sank down into his chair.

"Nice," MJ whispered to me.

Peter's aghast expression soon formed into a smile as his rival had been silenced for the time being.

The school day came and went. As soon as the bell rang, Peter and I were outside.

He jumped the tall school fence in a single leap. I flew over after him, laughing.

Peter smiled. "That was amazing, back there! I can't believe it! Flash didn't talk for the entire class. You gotta do that more often," he beamed.

"Yeah, well," I began sheepishly. "It was nothing."

I followed Peter to a local Deli.

"'Sup, Mr. Delmar," Peter greeted the owner.

 Delmar," Peter greeted the owner

"Hey, Mr. Parker," the man greeted him. "Who's this you brought with you?"

"Oh, that's just my friend from school," Peter said, throwing his thumb over his shoulder, then ordering a sandwich.

"You're that angel of New York, aren't you?" Mr. Delmar said to me.

I wanted to shrink into the corner and run away. I hated being recognized.

"Yeah," I mumbled. "That's me."

"Wow," then man breathed. "Hey, you want something? On the house."

I looked to Peter. "The capricola's good," he said with a shrug.

With our sandwiches in hand, I followed Peter around the block to an alley. He began taking off his shoes.

"What the hell are you doing?" I laughed as Peter threw off his book bag and pulled out a piece of blue and red fabric.

"Is that the suit?" I asked as Peter threw it on.

"Yep, the one Mr. Stark made me," he said, quickly getting dressed.

"We gonna go save the world right now or something?" I said, putting my sandwich in my school bag.

"More like the neighborhood," Peter said.

"Damn, I wish I had a mask," I thought aloud. "I hate being recognized but the world has already seen my face.

"Yeah, but you got that sandwich for free," Peter said, pulling the Spiderman mask over his face.

"I guess so," I mumbled.