XXII - Healing

Peter's POV

My cheeks grew hot with embarrassment.

"Peter, try talking to her," Warren said. "Maybe it will help?"

"Um, okay," I said slowly, my voice hoarse from holding back tears. "Hi, Eve," I began. "It's Peter . . ." I took a deep breath, "remember a couple days ago how much fun we had around the city after school? I really want to be able to do that again. And, the Decathlon is coming up in a month, remember the trip to D.C.?" I took her limp hand in mine. "And what about Homecoming? That's something to look forward to. Before you went to Cairo, you said we could go together. It'll be fun, right? You just have to get better first, Eve . . . please . . . wake up."

I sighed. It had been eight hours since her surgery. The sky outside had definitely grown dark but I couldn't tell as the room was windowless.

Soft fingers began to hold onto my hand a little more firmly.

"Mr. Xavier, she's holding my hand," I realized. "Her fingers are actually holding mine."

"That's it, Evelyn," Charles began. "Wake up, c'mon."

The heart monitor started to alarm.

"What does that mean?" I asked nervously.

Doctor Banner came rushing into the room. "She's waking up," he said quickly. "Her heart rate is picking up, it's a good thing."

I couldn't help but smile as a little bit of weight was lifted off my shoulders.

"Tony, she's waking up!" Doctor Banner called out the room.

Eve's POV

"She's waking up!" I heard a voice yell. I flexed my fingers, feeling a hand wrapped around mine.

"Eve, if you can hear me, it's Peter," said a voice.

"Peter?"  I croaked weakly.

"She said 'Peter,'" a British voice exclaimed.

"Charles?"  I asked this time.

"Yes, Evelyn, I'm here." A hand caressed my face. I leaned into its warmth.

My whole body felt heavy as a dull pain crawled across my torso with each breath I took.

"It hurts, Charles," I managed.

"Doctor Banner, is there something you can give her for the pain?" Charles asked.

Their voices seemed to fade in and out. I pulled my eyes open, squinting at the intake of light. As the room came into view, I was met with concerned faces surrounding me.

Charles, Warren, Peter, Mr. Stark and Doctor Banner all looked down at me.

Warren stood from his chair and hugged the doctor.

"You did good, kid." Mr. Stark patted my shoulder. "I'm gonna go out there and tell those media hounds no casualties," Stark said triumphantly as he left the room.

"Well, Eve," Doctor Banner began, "you're pretty much out of the woods. All you have to do now is let time do its thing. Just gotta heal."

"What hit me?" I asked, finding my voice was beginning to return

"A large shard of metal," Charles said, "when Apocalypse threw all that debris at you."

Doctor Banner returned with a metal tray. On it sat a Rubik's-Cube-sized metallic chunk, still stained red in some places.

"It hurt," I said, a short laugh escaping my lips.

"I bet," Peter said. His hand was still holding mine.

"Good news, the press is leaving," Stark said as he entered the room. "I told them no casualties and you're recovering," he said to me. "That means civilians can come visit."

I looked at Peter. "I'll call Ned!" he said quickly. "Aunt May, she's awake!" Peter yelled as he left the room.

***

The next week went by agonizingly slowly. Peter had practically moved in to my hospital room with me. He had taken a little break off of school but still decided to do all of his makeup work in the room with me.

The school had given me a "free pass" on the homework I would be missing, which I was grateful for.

I was stuck watching whatever was on TV—mostly news footage from Cairo.

Peter insisted we take a selfie with Mr. Stark, mostly to rub it in Flash's face, and sent it out to the Academic Decathlon group chat.

Another week went by and I was able to move myself around in a wheelchair.

Another week passed and I was up and walking.

Doctor Banner eventually cleared me to go to D.C. for the Academic Decathlon. I still had the majority of my stitches in and would have to be changing the bandages myself, but nevertheless, I was excited for the trip.

I was more surprised Charles was even letting me go.

***

"Good to have you back, Eve," said Mr. Harrington as I boarded the bus. "You too, Peter."

We practiced our trivia as a team the bus ride over

We practiced our trivia as a team the bus ride over. A nervous excitement grew in my stomach as we unloaded the bus in front of the hotel.

"Here, let me get that," Peter said, taking my suitcase for me. "You're not supposed to be doing heavy lifting anyway."

"Oh, thanks," I said, following everyone up to the hotel rooms.

As I stepped onto the elevator, a pang of pain shot from my wound down to my toe. I gritted my teeth.

"You doing okay, Eve?" Mr. Harrington asked.

"Yeah," I said. "Just gotta take my pain meds, change the bandages, maybe lay down for a little."

"Alright," my teacher said, a slight look of worry crossing his face. "You've got time. Rest up for tomorrow."

I nodded. I was glad to be back.