jasmine

i groaned as i turned over to turn off my alarm clock. it blaring my favorite prince song but i didn't feel like hearing all that right now. i got up slowly and rubbed my eyes. i looked at the time and saw i had an hour before classes started. i groaned and got up. i walked to my closet and decided on wearing my red oversized hoodie renee bought me, some black leggings and red converses. i pulled up my hair up in a high ponytail because it's a hassle to actually attempt to do my hair. i made sure i had everything in my bag and grabbed phone. i walked out my room and walked into the kitchen. i grabbed a nature valley bar and walked out the dorm. i pulled my phone out and decided to text sarah. sarah is my best friend. she's been my friend since we were little. she was more like a sister to me than anyone else.

sarah

hey dummy. where are you?

i'm out in the foyer waiting for your slow ass to hurry up. don't wanna be late for class...again

it was a one time thing and you know it

mhmm yeah whatever. just hurry up

ok ok i'll be there

i put my phone back into my hoodie pocket and ran down the hall. i wasn't looking where i was going and i bumped into someone. i looked and saw i accidently bumped into renee. renee sighed and grabbed her papers that were all over the floor. i helped her pick up some and handed them back. 

"i'm sorry renee." i apologized, "i wasn't looking where i was going."

renee rolled her eyes, "it's fine. why are you in such a rush anyways? you hate going to class more than anyone."

"i do but sarah was rushing me." i replied.

we started walking to the foyer together. we had a small conversation until we reached it. i saw sarah sitting down at the café and ran over to her. sarah looked up and smiled but then she rolled her eyes.

"what?" i asked.

"can you like stop dressing up like a bum all the time?" sarah asked.

"for your information, sarah, i find this outfit pleasingly comfortable." i smiled.

sarah just rolled her eyes, "whatever. let's go to class."

we all walked out the dormitory together and towards the school building. it was beautiful outside which is something i would rarely ever say. it was busy on the streets but it was nice. also, it's brooklyn so what did you expect? sarah and renee was were talking about some school stuff that i didn't care about. as we were walking, i saw anthony and daveed standing and talking with each other. i smirked and ran up behind daveed. i jumped on his back which caused him to yelp in surprise. anthony laughed as he heard daveed's yelp.

"'sup dumbass!" i laughed in daveed's ear.

"god i hate it when you do that, jasmine." daveed groaned as he held my legs. 

"you'll get used to it after a while." oak stated as he walked towards us.

renee and sarah caught up soon after. we all walked up to the school building with me still on daveed's back. he wasn't mad about it anymore so that was good. anthony was telling the story of how she got his finger stuck up his nose.

"so then my ma took me to the hospital because i couldn't drive myself." anthony finished.

"how the fuck did you call her then?" daveed asked.

"daveed, i only need my fingers to type but i need both my hands to drive." anthony replied.

"well you could drive with one hand, you know." i stated, "people do it all the time."

"yeah but i'm not people so i'm different." anthony glared.

i shook my head and laughed, "whatever, ramos."

we walked into the school and daveed finally put me down. he shook his arms a little and sighed.

"that was one hell of a workout." daveed muttered.

"i'm not that heavy." i rolled my eyes.

"you're not, daveed's just bein' a little bitch about it." oak smirked.

"well this is where we all bid adieu." renee sighed, "it's almost class time."

i groaned, "don't remind us."

sarah laughed and grabbed my arm, "c'mon jasmine. class will probably be fun this time." 

i shook my head but followed her. we walked down the corridor until we reached mr. russell's room. mr. russell was a great teacher, one of my favorites, but i just hate doing work. we walked in and i saw him smile at us. we were always the first to come in his class because sarah likes to wake my ass up early. 

"hello girls." mr. russell greeted, "how are you two?"

"tired." i groaned.

"as usual." mr. russell chuckled, "anyways, class should be fun today."

"why?" sarah asked.

"today, we are working on a new project." mr. russell answered, "that's all i'll let you two know before the rest of the class gets here."

sarah nodded and walked to her seat. i walked to mine which was next to her. soon, more students came into the class. they all sat in their assigned seats and talked amongst each other. after several minutes, the bell rung and mr. russell closed the door. he walked in front of the classroom and clapped his hands.

"good morning everyone!" mr. russell beamed.

"good morning." everyone replied.

"i hope you all are having a great morning," mr. russell smiled, "today, we are starting a new project. we are doing something called pen pals. for those of you who haven't heard what pen pals are, pen pals are basically you writing letters back and forth to someone from around the world or, as in our case, around the country. you all are assigned a partner from libertyville, illinois so everyone will have someone from there. when you're writing to your partner, you are not allowed to describe your physical traits to them. you are only allowed to give them you name or nickname. you can talk about anything with them. i will not read your letters you write. this is all just between you and your pen pal. i'll be handing out the letters now."

mr. russell began handing out envelopes to people from a basket. it took him a while to come up to me and sarah. he handed sarah hers and then handed me mine. i took it from him and opened it. i pulled out a piece of paper with some neat handwriting on it.

dear pen pal,

hello! my name is phillipa but you can call me pippa or pips. which ever is fine. some things about me are i'm currently majoring in art but i take some writing courses. i was born here in libertyville. i love dogs more than anything. my favorite flower are sunflowers because they look so beautiful. i love to sing also. sorry if i'm going on and on. i don't have any friends where i live but i do have a boyfriend. ok. i think that's enough. i can't wait to hear back from you!

pippa~

i placed the letter on the other side of my desk. i pulled out a piece of paper and began writing to pippa.

1,183 (not including a/n)

so? how is it for a first chapter? i can't begin to tell you how many times i forgot i was writing in first person. i'm just so used to writing in third but anyways, i hope you enjoyed the first chapter of pen pal! let me know what you think of it.