32. Times are Tense

Newts POV

The ride back to the base was...

Tense.

Jane sat between (Y/N) and I and the poor kid fell asleep, her head on my shoulder.

"...WICKED... WICKED is good? Who the hell would tell her that!? I thought you guys-"

(Y/N) shushed Kent.

"... I thought you guys took care of them..."

He said, annoyed.

(Y/N) sighed, looking to her side away from everyone else.

"...I... I dont know ok? I just-"

She looks at Jane.

"... I'll gather a squad. Go check out the old WICKED building."

She says sternly.

Everyone hesitantly nods.

"I'll go with-"

"No. Newt I need you to stay here. With Jane, while I'm gone I'm leaving you in charge."

WHAT-

Out the corner of my eye I see Kent tense up, a sneer making it's way onto his face.

But no one else sees it.

"As soon as we get back to base I'll grab a squad and head out- if we're not back by dark-"

The truck stops and people open the doors,

We're back at camp already.

"-send a search party ok?"

She gives me a quick, heated kiss then jumps out the truck and rushes up to a group of people, explaining the situation.

Fry gently lifts Jane out the seat and carry's her over to one of the hammocks.

I jump out the truck and regroup with everyone from Paradise.

"So... what happened?"

Sonya asks, Harriet leaning her head on her shoulder as Sonya gently rubs her back soothingly.

"Let me explain-"

Thoms starts, and soon hes covered the whole story.

When hes down, we hear trucks start up and we watch as a small squad, with (Y/N) among them, leave the base and start driving back to the city.

I sigh,

"She... left me in charge."

Sonya and Harriet give me surprised looks.

"...really? I mean- no offense but you dont know these guys-"

"Trust me... I know. But it's what she said-"

Kent comes over and looms over my shoulder, I turn around to face him and raise an eyebrow in question.

"Shes right. You dont know these guys. So I'll handle it from here-"

Minho jumps out his seat.

"Theres probably a damn good reason (Y/N) didnt leave you in charge shank."

Kent looks at Minho in confusion but shrugs and turns back to me.

"If you wanna try handle this then-"

"No. No you're right. I dont know this bunch. But if one thing goes wrong you will take full responsibility."

I say, standing now to look him in the eyes.