Chapter 11: Escape from the Carrion

It had nearly been a week; many of the Tarkins were on edge about what had happened. Several debated about holding off the test and sending out a search party, an idea formed by Gideon and others respected the wishes of Wilhuff that both were most likely fine and that they should wait until they come back or at least close enough to the barrier. The two brothers sat in Wilhuff's office in silence until Gideon spoke, "How are you so calm when your son is in danger?" "Gideon, I have told you. At some point, Garoche will have to enter the Carrion, and given Zirus is with him and, mind you, very protective of him, I know that he is safe. Do you doubt Zirus's abilities?" Wilhuff sat back in his chair.

"No, no, I most certainly do not. Zirus is very capable. I just-" Gideon sputtered. "Because it seems to me that you think otherwise. If you think she is incapable of surviving the Carrion do you think I am incapable of being a teacher?" Wilhuff narrowed his eyes at his brother. "That is not what I am saying at all," Gideon scoffed. "You may not be saying it outright, Gideon, but you do with your tones and especially your actions...Don't think I do not know about your little plan to try and get Tonika to favor you as a teacher." Wilhuff's tone was cold. Gideon stood silent, but his face twisted into an expression of anger, "You have no proof that I have been 'trying' to do that!" "I don't need 'proof' Gideon. I'm your brother. I know you, what you do, and why" Wilhuff stood up. Gideon knew he was right, and he could not hide any of his cards any longer with Wilhuff. Gideon smirked in frustration, "Okay, sure, maybe I did try to sway Tonika to my side. I thought that I would be able to teach her better and under the terms of a friend rather than being technically a servant, something she has been treated as since she was born." Wilhuff sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, "Gideon." "And because of this master-servant title, you have not only put her in danger but your own son!" Gideon continued. "Gideon!"

Wilhuff barked, silencing his brother, "It would not matter if it were her or any of her siblings. You forget that the Zirus family are servants to the Tarkin family. It is how it has been for ages until they finish serving under us by securing a service that can benefit not only us but the Motti family as well. We all work for each other, but we are the head of the three, and if I decided to just give Tonika over to you, do you realize how that would make not only myself by Tonika look? No Tarkin has ever broken a contract with their Zirus member for the sake of another Tarkin. Your friendliness towards Tonika would have most likely dampened the strength of her training. I am stern with Tonika, many times cold, but I give her the encouragement she needs. I am not asking you this brother, I am telling you. Tonika Zirus has a contract with me and will remain that way. If you want a Zirus so badly, there is a whole army of them on Myogatta. You keep your business, and I keep mine." Wilhuff had his finger raised to his brother. Silence returned. "I wonder what they are doing out there," Gideon almost whispered.

The dogs were yipping and snapping at a giant scaled tree serpent constricting around a pack member while striking at the other dogs. Zirus was running through the strong branches, launching herself off one onto the serpent's head, driving a dagger into its head repeatedly. Garoche is tied to her back now. The serpent hissed and flailed wildly, releasing its prey until dropping its head and curling to die. Zirus stepped down off the serpent's head and ran to the formerly entrapped dog who was crying. She sighed, touching the ribs. It was too hurt to save. She pulled out a small needle from a skin pouch and stabbed it into the dog's neck. Within a week of her life on the Carrion, she had forged several tools and managed to harvest poison. That needle she stuck the dog with was coded in a numbing toxin that paralyzes a victim and slowly forcing the body to shut down on itself. She lifted the dog and carried it. The rest of the pack trailed after them. Zirus placed the dying dog in a spot nearest the tree shelter. The group had moved to the tree after trusting Zirus and Garoche. It made Zirus question how and why, but she would always mark it off that these dogs were not too dangerous and were more scared of her after she killed one of them and that the Zirus family has a way with dogs. It is something in their blood.