Chapter 13: The Dishonorable Move

[ Author's Note: I apologize if the stuff between Zirus and Maxam sounds a bit rushed. I am not very good at writing lovey stuff but I do plan to flesh it out more later on in coming chapters.]

It had been half a year since Ariso's arrival to Eriadu. Tonika's work with Maxam was working out well. She learned quickly, so her start on repairing the cruiser and bike speeder came sooner than Maxam expected. "So, um, I was thinking," Maxam chewed on a toothpick leaning on the cruiser as Tonika worked. "That can't be a good thing. That's probably why there is so much smoke in this place," she laughed. He grinned leaned into the cruiser to see her through the panel that was missing, "How about you and I take a drive after you're done fixing that booster line? I'll let you drive out, and I'll drive us back. What do you say?" "Are you sure you want to trust me with your cruiser?" She moved the wiring to look up at him. "Of course I do. You turned this one around on your own and drove it out of the Carrion. You are more than capable." he replied. She slid out from under the cruiser on a wheel bed covered in oil spots. Maxam tossed her a rag, "You know the oil really brings out your eyes," he joked. "You always tell me that," she wiped the marks from her face and hands. "I must mean it then," he winked. "Hurry up! the suns are going to be down by the time you finish." "I'm finishing!" she stood up from the wheel bed then placed her belt on a hook in the door-way of the room the speeder and cruiser were in. They walked to his cruiser and got inside, "You remember how to turn her on, right?" Maxam asked. "Yes," Tonika pressed a button on the side and pulled a lever to reverse, looking behind her as she backed the craft up to the open doors. "Good," Maxam reassured. The cruiser was out of the dock and on the landing strip. "Alright, go for it." Maxam leaned back in his seat. Tonika turned the cruiser around, taking some time to survey the vast fields. She shifted the lever to drive and sped forward towards a small mountain. She stopped once they reached the cliff. "Why'd you stop here?" Maxam looked over at her. "It's a nice view," She put the cruiser on rest mode. "So, what do you think about tomorrow?" Maxam stared out into the vast space of grass. "I am not sure, you would think I would be excited to beat the ever-loving life out of my brother for his test, but I kind of feel like I'm wasting valuable time on someone who would never spare a second for me...If that makes sense." She sighed and rested her wrists on the wheel. "It makes complete sense," Maxam stretched his arms out, placing one around Tonika. She took note of this but tried to play it off. The two had become very close. Hours spent studying blueprints and sharing obscure plant knowledge, a few bouts of subtle flirting. Maxam was not like the other members of the Tarkin family. He was not stuck up, frigid, and he did not make it his life's purpose of proving his worth despite living in the outer rim. Tonika had tried pushing down her feelings about him. It would cause problems in the contract. It never said anything about not having a relationship with a Tarkin, but it also left room for amendments to be made. She did not want to upset anyone, especially Wilhuff. "If it makes you feel any better, I'll be there helping you kick him a new one," he smiled. She looked down and laughed. "You may not want to waste your time Tonika, but this is something you deserve. A chance to prove to him you are better. You know I usually don't care about that sort of thing, but given your situation on Myogatta, I would make it my goal to show him I mean business if I were you." He looked at her, his eyes saying that he meant business, "Everything will be alright, and I know very well you will have his arse on the ground before Jova can start the clock." She nodded. He took his arm from around her to gently hold her face, rubbing his thumb on the scarred part of her cheek. She kept her eyes on his, not breathing. He leaned forward, placing his lips on hers. She felt like her heart stopped, closing her eyes, accepting his affection. He broke the kiss, forehead against hers, and laughed nervously. "I, I can't believe I did that. You, um, aren't going to tell anyone, are you? I don't want you to get in trouble," he stammered. "No, I won't say anything if you don't," she whispered. "I like you very much. I don't know if I make that obvious or anything," Maxam rubbed his thumb against her cheek. "Not fair, I was going to say the same thing," She laughed. The two laughed and talked about what ideas they had in mind for poor Ariso and ideas for double team attacks. The drive back home was silent but full of a joyous calm. Maxam parked the cruiser and looked at her, holding her hand tightly, smiling at what they just did. She smiled, "Maybe we should stop smiling before someone thinks we're up to something." "When are we not up to something? I don't think anyone will notice that much," He looked around the dock to make sure nobody was around and stole a quick kiss. She blushed and hid her face in her hands. He stepped out of his side of the cruiser and came around to open her door. "Well, I will say one thing, Tonika. You have achieved something today, two somethings. First, you drive very well, and second, you have your new Tarkin secret...By that I mean me, of course." Maxam walked with her to into the compound and down the halls to her room. "Well, I would have to say that is probably the best Tarkin secret I know of so far." She shrugged. "See you tomorrow then, Moss Queen?" he smirked. "First thing?" she replied. "First thing," he held out his hand. She took it, "First thing." He pulled her hand to his lips and kissed her knuckles. Then he left. She closed the door, sinking to the floor, hiding her face in her hands and laughing loudly. "I can't believe it. I can't believe it! HaHa!!" she hugged herself and tried to breathe. "Can't believe someone was able to see past your ugly face?" She heard Ariso's voice behind her door. "I know your little secret, Tonika," he said in a sing-song sort of tone. She felt rage enter her head. She opened the door, "You shouldn't say things like that the day before me and half the Tarkin family are set to beat you down." she spoke unamused. "I can say what I want to. Besides, it just gets me more riled up to kick you into next week." Ariso scoffed. "Look, I'm going to get ready for bed. You should do the same. Jova expects you in the yard by suns' rise," she huffed and grabbed what she needed to get ready for bed. "Fine, You and I will see who stacks out then." He stepped back into his room. She made her way to the bathroom and prepared to try and calm herself as she stepped into the warm waters of the shower, thinking of the drive. Maxam didn't like her for her face, he liked her for her, and that is all that mattered. He was so gentle touching her scar; it would not have mattered to him about scarring. If she had credits for every scar on any Tarkin, Tonika would probably have a full purse. She ran her hand along the mangled side of her face feeling, for once, joy that someone could possibly love it. She could hardly sleep from the joy, finding herself balling up her blanket to hug tightly.