Part 1

It was just a phrase, yet I couldn't help feel so scared.

The harsh ray of the sun made it too hard to clearly see his expression.

It was almost like he was being drowned from the noisy light.

It was almost like this was all a dream...

"Eiji, you're up next!"

The coach's raspy voice broke my nerves from the tension of this game. I jumped up from the bench and gave myself a light jog towards the field to clear up my head. Hitting my toe against the pitcher's mound, I finally settled myself into the game.

Everyone in my team kept shouting, "MVP! MVP! MVP!"

Even from this distance, I was still able to pick out my childhood friend's voice, saying "Come on, MVP, finish this game!"

From the wall of the dugout's bench, Riku gave me a thumbs up as I made eye contact with him. I responded with a thumb up from my pitcher glove, making all my teammates shout even louder and even making Riku laugh to the point of his head tilting back.

Let's end this.

I set myself ready and got myself into the rhythm of the game. When that familiar feeling came by, I positioned myself and finally propelled the ball. As soon as that ball left my hand, I knew exactly where this game was going...

"I did it! I made it at least to the stairs!"

After that game, the coach took us out for dinner to congratulate us and then dropped us off at school. It's almost been a year since we placed second place in the regional final, but this year, I knew it was going to be different. This year, we'll be able to really make it to first place and even go to the finals this time! I've been staying back late at school more to practice for this last game. I've been waiting for this moment and I'm gonna take it with all I got!

Even if when the dimmed light prevented me from properly seeing the old steps, I always knew my way around the shrine. Exhausted from the game, I lazily pulled myself along the stair rail and stomped onto the uneven stone stairs.

While other people my age would find living in a small shrine with their grandpa boring, I... kind of agree. But, compared to what I could have, I was lucky enough to find someone who was willing to take me in after that "accident".

Some might consider me to be the unluckiest person in the world, but in my opinion, I think I'm living quite an interesting life.

Reaching halfway to the stairs, I stopped at a hidden path to a remote benched area where I would usually meet my classmate. I would usually meet him there everyday after school, but he wouldn't stay this long waiting for me, would he?...

Might as well check.

As I walked off the stone path and reached my destination, I gave a heavy sigh and shook my head to myself.

I looked back up and loudly called to him, "Ayumu!"

His small head bounced up and frantically looked around until he spotted me waving at him. Ayumu's eye widened and then he quickly shrunk back into his seat, making me laugh about how ridiculous he looked.

"I can't believe you seriously waited this long for me! You should be at home by now!" I gave a pat on the back of his small shoulder, making him jump up a bit.

"I-I'm not waiting for you. You just happen to keep coming by every time I'm here. Also, I just don't feel like going back home. No one is going to be waiting for me there anyway..."

"Hmm, how about this? The shrine is really close to us, so if you want, you can stay at my place!"

Ayumu suddenly started coughing violently, making me jump up from my seat. After finally catching his breath, he faced me, but avoided my eyes.