Part 2

I didn't know him that well back then.

Ayumu was a transfer student that moved into our school at the strangest time of third year.

From having dim red highlights in his unnaturally black hair to multiple empty ear pierced holes, people didn't hesitate to spread rumors about him.

"Heard that this guy is a delinquent. Just look at him! Bet that guy keeps avoiding eye contact, cause he feels too guilty to even look at us."

"Right? I bet he got kicked out from his old school for drugs or something. Seriously look how pale and frail he looks."

"Do you think he's so small because those drugs stunted his growth?"

"He's only got his baby face going for him. Do you think he took advantage of that to get some money? Gross."

So many rumors about his looks and he just walked into his class for the first time.

I didn't know why, but I knew I had to at least talk to him. Whether it was my curiosity or pity, I knew I wanted to be friends with him. So, I attempted to talk to Ayumu, but like a transparent wall, he was clearly not interested in talking to me.

"Yo, Eiji, who's the kid?" Riku came up to me, heavily leaning on my right shoulder.

"Ah, remember from the introduction, it's Ayumu. Oh Ayumu, this is Riku, my childhood friend since elementary. He's also captain of my baseball team."

"Oh, yeah. We have known each other since elementary? It's already been that long? Well, anyway, everyone is waiting for you. Don't you want to get something to eat?"

"Wait, Riku, you just interrupted our conversation."

"Huh, didn't really seem like a conversation to me."

Riku is the type of guy to stick up to me whenever he thinks I'm being a pushover. It gets a bit annoying sometimes, but I know he means the best for me. So, I tried to just brush it off until something really interesting happened.

I still remember Ayumu's first words to us. It was so cold that it was almost impossible to forget. "Go eat a dick and fuck off."

The whole class went silent. I slightly snickered.

I could see Riku gripping his fist hard and then he snatched onto Ayumu's collar.

"What did you say, you fucker?"

Ayumu stared blankly to the side and gave a loud sigh. "Just leave me alone, you fake blonde."

Hearing the snickers of the classroom in the back, Riku looked like he was about to exploded with anger. Before he could do anything, I immediately locked my arms under his shoulder and pulled him away.

I tried to give the best smile I could and said, "Sorry about that, Ayumu. I didn't mean to bother you."

While dragging Riku into the bathroom to calm him down, I thought about my conversation with Ayumu as Riku angrily checked his hair in the mirror.

I realized that Ayumu must have thought I was pitying him because of the classroom's rumors about him. Just from his expression, I could tell what he's been through, because I was the exact same way once...

So, after that, I never really tried to initiate the conversation, but I kept it in the back of my mind to keep trying at least. It wasn't until one of my longest baseball practices a few days later that I was really able to have a real interaction with him.

That night, another late practice went by and I continued on my way up the long flight of stone steps until I noticed a small metal piece on the ground. I grabbed it to get a better look at it.