Severance - Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Ben stepped out into the garden at Singh house and took a deep breath, already he was starting to feel more relaxed. After his transferral to the Elder Headman’s Palace he had

been unable to rest. There were too many new people, too many agendas being constructed around him. He felt stifled, slowly smothered under the weight of a thousand eyes, all staring at him. He could practically hear the different Headman salivating with all the options he presented.

Elder Headman Amajit had been kind to him, but Ben knew that he was just as cunning as everyone else at the palace. Behind the Elder Headman’s faded blue eyes was a brain filled with secrets and plans. Ben had gotten the impression that the old man had already decided on a use for him, that behind the light chit chat, he had been weighing him, testing his limits, finding his truest self.

Ben had never felt more vulnerable than in those thirty minutes in the Elder Headman’s study. He had entered the room a confidant politician and left it a nervous school boy. He’d never missed his father so much, never dreamed that he would still need his father’s wisdom as much as he did.

It had been over a week since he had last seen the Va Dic Toban’s and he had missed them. At least he had known he could trust them, which was more than he could say for anyone he had met at the palace.

Ben nodded at the young man accompanying him.

“I’ll stay in view, Hiraku, you can wait here.”

The soldier smiled, his eyes travelling to the lone figure by the koi pond.

“Have fun.”

Ben smiled warily; so far his relationship with Leda had been interesting, but not exactly fun. He didn’t expect her mood to be very genial today.

Yesterday Astra had completed the Bonding ceremony with Apprentice Headman Sen.

Leda had been on edge since they had arrived, but yesterday he had felt the full strength of her fury over the thirty foot gap between them.

Ben understood; she was worried for her sister. Leda had gotten used to casting herself in the role of Astra’s protector and she was frustrated that she could not protect her from Kai. She was infuriated by Apprentice Headman Sen’s cold rationality, disliked his impersonal politeness and his refusal to get angry.

Leda liked to draw a reaction from people, she liked pushing them to the limits of their patience. She enjoyed conflict, wanted to fight, wanted to immerse herself in a blazing row as though the fire of argument cleansed her somehow.

Apprentice Headman Sen denied her at every turn and that frustrated her. She felt cheated and her only release was to argue bitterly with someone else.

Ben was sympathetic up to a point; he didn’t much care for Kai’s robotic personality either. At the same time he could see that Leda’s worry for her sister wasn’t the only thing that prompted her dislike. Leda’s Tula prejudice against Kai’s Una Apprentice Headman was also to blame.

He knew that Leda was judgemental at the best of times and her hate for Kai was a complex, many layered thing.

It was also dangerous.

Leda’s temper was scorching and she never paused before she spoke, if she thought something was wrong she felt compelled to set it right.

Ben admired that.

It also scared him witless.

He couldn’t ignore how reckless she was; she leapt before she looked and that made