Severance: Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Astra took a steadying breath as she placed her hand into Kai’s. Rem stepped back and they turned and bowed to the Elder Headman, awaiting the start of the ceremony. Kai’s grip on her hand was strong and firm and for some reason that brought her a measure of

comfort. He was dressed in ceremonial white, heavy gold embroidery edging the waistcoat that reached just above his knee. A royal blue sash at his waist proclaimed him the son of the House of Sen and sapphires decorated the ceremonial sword at his side.

Astra eyed the weapon uncomfortably, the Tula never carried weapons, and she was surprised by how strange the custom had become to her. The heavily decorated sword was inlaid with gold, its handle and sheath beautifully formed and studded generously with sapphires. Her bonded mate looked very much the arrogant Apprentice Headman, however the fingers wrapped around hers conveyed a sense of solidarity that eased her mind.

“We are here this day,” began Elder Headman Di Ye Uel Ne Amajit. “To witness the Sequence of Marriage rite, an ancient tradition initiated by the men of old as a safeguard to our nation.”

Elder Headman Amajit’s voice, amplified by the acoustics of the vaulted chamber, echoed around the room. Astra felt goose flesh spread across her body, an equal mix of apprehension and nervousness.

“It is a sacred ritual uniting the Head Families in brotherhood and peace.”

Her heart sped up as she listened to the service; it seemed to weigh her down with responsibility, a heavy weight on her chest that made it difficult to breathe. She couldn’t recall ever having attended a ceremony where the final Bonding vows had taken place.

Her sisters Jia Li and Le Lin had been too young, only having completed the first part of the Bonding rite. What she remembered of their joining had been different to this. The general mood of reverence had not been so sombre but then, this was not a day of celebration for either family.

Elder Headman Amajit gestured for Shin to approach with the rings. As Kai lifted Astra’s wedding band from the velvet cushion, Elder Headman Amajit’s voice broke the silence once again.

“Kai Uel Ne Sen, Apprentice Headman to the people of New Paris, do you take the daughter of the House of Singh as your wife of Bond?”

“I do, welcoming Aya as my Bonded mate, giving my family to her and accepting her family as my own.”

Kai slid the golden circle over her knuckle, claiming her as his wife.

“And do you, Aya Uel Ne Singh, daughter of the House of Singh, take this son of the House of Sen as your husband of Bond?”

“I do, recognising Kai as my Bonded mate and handing my life over to his safekeeping.”

With trembling fingers Astra slid the heavy gold ring on to his finger and bound them both together forever.

“The vow has been spoken in this hallowed place of peace and justice. Let any that seek to interfere between these families now bound be forever cast out from their fellows. The bond between these two people can only be broken by death. Should either prove unfaithful to their oath they will be judged by the Headmen and death will release them from their bond.”

Astra repressed a shiver and obediently voiced the ascent required of her. Kai’s hand at her elbow helped her to her feet and with his usual composure led her to where his mother and father stood within the ring of Headmen. With a formal bow he presented her to them.

“I seek your blessing upon my union and upon the woman chosen to be my life mate.”

Astra noted with surprise his deviation from the ceremonial declaration handed down by the Headmen of old. The correct request was ‘for the woman he had chosen’ but Astra