Severance: Chapter One

The Chronicles of Discord

Severance

By

D.D. Chant

Chapter One

The sky was heavy with the promise of rain, greyish purple clouds hanging low and oppressive. Astra gazed out of the full length window, completely absorbed by the clouds churning restlessly in the sky. Most women prayed for sunshine on their wedding day, but Astra felt the violence of the coming storm was more fitting to her nuptials.

She moved slightly, accommodating the maid that dressed her in her wedding gown. It was a beautiful dress, white stiff silk outlined her torso and a light, many layered soft silk skirt floated on the air with her every move. A gossamer robe, almost a waistcoat, hung to the floor obscuring part of the dress behind a golden veil. The ceremonial clothing felt restrictive, weighing her down with the reality of what she was about to do.

“This is a mistake.”

Leda’s voice cut through the silence, her tone conversational and bored.

“Leda…” began Petta reprovingly. “You promised.”

“It’s a huge mistake,” reiterated her older sister unrepentantly.

Her words did not seem to have any affect on the woman standing in the middle of the room. Astra smiled impersonally and smoothed her hand down the pearl encrusted bodice of her dress.

“Thank you, Leda; your observations sooth my nerves beautifully.”

Leda snorted.

“You’ll go your own way, I know that, I just want to be able to say I told you so when this ends in disaster.”

“Leda!” Petta’s gaze shifted anxiously between her older sisters. “You’re not helping.”

“I have no intention of helping Astra put herself in a dangerous position.”

“Apprentice Headman Sen won’t hurt her, Senior Shin said so.”

“Senior Shin is bias and very unlikely to suggest that man will do Astra any damage,” returned Leda sharply.

“I don’t think he’ll hurt her.”

Leda swung around, pinning her youngest sister to the spot with smouldering eyes. Petta’s brow was creased and her large amber eyes filled with earnest thoughtfulness.

“You place too much faith in Senior Shin’s words. Try to remember that he is the one guarding us like we’re criminals. He isn’t our friend, Petta, he isn’t even on our side.”

“You can’t keep it up,” returned the girl softly.

“Keep what up?”

“One day you’re going to have to trust someone.”

Leda rolled her eyes.

“What’s that supposed to mean? Seriously, Pet, you’ve been spending too much time with Benji. His psycho babble will rot your brain.”

Petta said nothing but shook her head and walked to where Astra stood, taking her hand.

“You look beautiful, Astra, Leda’s just spinced because she can’t be a bridesmaid.”