Severance: Chapter four.

Senator Philip Burton sat in a comfy armchair in one of Jayn’s private tearooms and watched the rain slip down the large glass window overlooking the square. He often found himself at the café, not only when meeting with Sendel or Jayn but also in his spare time. For some reason he felt at home at the quiet tearoom, safe and out of Ladron’s reach. Perhaps it was just an illusion but he found he could breathe easier in Jayn’s restaurant.

He had hoped that with Senator Fredrickson arriving to replace him as the head of the diplomatic mission Ladron would lose interest in him. He had even entertained the hope that Ladron would allow him quarters outside of government building.

Unfortunately that hadn’t been the case, Counsellor Ladron no longer had any time for him but he still had no intention of allowing him out of his sight. He knew the damage that Philip could do and as a result had kept him under surveillance.

Ladron was not a man who countenanced anyone going against his will and ever since Philip’s first meeting with Counsellor Sendel he had been watched closely. It had been too dangerous to meet up for some time now and their only communication had been through letters.

Jayn acted as their go between, a circumstance which Philip was more and more uncomfortable with as each day passed. He knew how dangerous it was for her to help him; Ladron would not need proof of her duplicity to hand out a death sentence.

Every day Philip suffered pangs of guilt that he had ever involved her in his fight. He had already seen how anyone opposing Ladron invariably fell prey to some mysterious ‘accident’.

Maybe one day it would be his fate as well.

There had been no word of Ben. Ladron sent his sympathies but still refused to see him.

Philip chaffed under the uncertainty he felt, wondering if Ladron had made any attempt to find out what had happened to Ben after he had entered Una territories. If he had Philip couldn’t help the fear that it was only to see if there was still opportunity to kill him.

Corbani Va Dic Ladron couldn’t be trusted. Sendel could be trusted even less, his ‘inquires’ in to Ben’s disappearance had turned up no new interest, or at least, so Philip had been led to believe. He was getting restless, unwilling to wait for much longer before he took matters into his own hands.

The port slid open and Jayn entered the room carrying a tea tray.

“Good morning, Senator.”

“Good morning, Jayn.” He smiled, glad of her company, relieved that he didn’t need to pretend with her.

“I thought you might like to try something a little different this morning.” She smiled, the gesture warming her eyes.

“Different?”

“The tea; it’s an old recipe from before the separation. I thought you might enjoy it.”

Philip lifted the rich caramel coloured liquid in his cup and inhaled gently before taking a sip. To his surprise the tea was sweet, rich bodied and full of flavour, slipping over his pallet smoothly.

“Do you like it?”

“It’s delicious, very different from Tula tea.”

Jayn smiled widely, brushing a non-existent speck of dust from her sleeve.

“It’s an ancient recipe once traditional in India. Astra found it for me; she used to love reading the old manuscripts kept in the storage vaults at the library. Normally tea leaves are steeped in boiling water, with this method the tea leaves boiled, strained and milk and sugar are added before the liquid is boiled again. Annis always has a cup before bed.”