Where it all began

"Seventeenth of May, Eighteen thirty-nine." Daniel heard himself read out the date. Where was he? It was so... dark. And cold. 

"After pounding the unforgiving stone wall for what seemed like an eternity, I realized it was hopeless. I was trapped."

As he heard himself recount his story, his heart started beating faster. Something was going to happen, this was a memory fused with the note he had started to read before, he had the journals words moving through his mind as he relived this memory.

"Amazing..." The current Daniel breathed. How did the human mind produce such a thing as this? His breath caught in his throat and he fell to his knees, trying to breath. He was having a panic attack, he needed to calm down.

"I fell to the ground, gasping for air, trying to focus. That's when I saw a faint blue shimmer." Daniel realised he was just remembering, tried to convince his brain this wasn't real, when he did in fact see the shimmer he remembered.

"My weakened body was heavy to carry, but I managed to push myself towards the enchanting light. It was waiting for me. Enclosed in dark nothingness, I felt myself drawn to the mystic light. I reached out, closing it in my hands."

Daniel did the same, the blue light shining through the gaps in his fingers. As if it was glad to see him.

"The light began to spark brightly and spirit me away.  Inlocking alien memories of spiraling towers, endless deserts and impossible geometry."

Daniel collapsed on the ground, completely unconcious.

"The next thing I remember is the grating sound of stone being lifted. The voices of Arabs pulling me to safety. And grasped in my hands was a shard of the most peculiar relic."

Daniel opened his eyes. He was lying on the floor of the 'tabulae' room, his body stiff and the passage way still blocked with rubble. All around him he caught traces of faint blue shimmers, though they quickly began to fade. And in his hand he grasped a small, round blue shard.