Awakening

The room spun as I clung desperately to my thoughts, thin shreds of memories that were all to quickly slipping from my grasp. My vision was blurry, I struggled to keep my balance and in the end gave in too gravity, laying on the ground. My name is Daniel, that much I know. Daniel what? I'm not to sure of that myself. 

I felt my senses return to normal, felt cold water dripping onto my face. I opened my eyes, I was lying on the ground of a large room, floor to ceiling windows covering the wall I was facing. I pulled myself to my feet, looking up for the source of the dripping water. There was a hole in the roof, the water was in fact the drizzle of a light downpour that darkened the evening sky. I looked around. This was definitely a castle of some sort. I turned my gaze down and saw rose petals littering the floor, aswell as a strange, luminescant substance. I thought better than to touch it, and instead looked around for a way out of this place.

Behind me were two large doors, presumably the entrance. I went over to them, eager to get out of this place. Of course, they were locked. I sighed, staring up at the two armor sets either side of the doors. Something wasn't right here. It was cold and eerily silent. Surely someone or something would be here? A couple of pigeons nesting in the roof perhaps? or a rodent scurrying along the floor? There should have been, but there was nothing.

I continued my little exploration, discovering a wooden door. It creaked as I opened it, and I stepped into the dimly lit room. Inside was a table and a chair. I went over to the table, sowly, as my limbs were still a little drowsy, seeing a candle and a strange cylindical object. On further inspection, I found out it was a small tinderbox. I raised an eyebrow, unsure of why there was such a thing lying around. Shrugging, I went to place it into my pocket, thinking it may turn out useful. When I realised I didn't even know if I had a pocket. I felt around my body and found I was wearing quite a few layers, an undershirt, a vest and a jacket. The jacket had pockets. I slid the little box inside, It was then it occured to me that I didn't even know what I myself looked like. Eyes open in shock, I stumbled back out of the room, towards the huge windows. 

Putting my hand on the cold glass, I leaned forward. A bolt of lightning lit up my face and I saw myself in the reflection. I gasped, I was in a terrible state! I was definitely a man, my jaw was set firmly and my brow was defined well. (If I may say so myself.) My shoulder-length brown hair was disheveled, my blue eyes framed with purple circles. I frowned, running a hand through my hair, combing it with my fingers. Satisfied, I tried rubbing my eyes to get rid of the circles, but gave up soon after. I straightened my brown jacket and the green vest underneath. I re-tucked my white undershirt into my pants, then tucked my pants into my boots. I frowned, everything was so unfarmiliar, yet I was sure these were my clothes.

Without anything left to procrastinate with, I wondered about what to do next. I called out to the castle.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" My voice had an English accent, but I should have known that, since I came from... where was it? London... Mayfair, that was it. Half heartedly I waited for a reply, hopeful I could get out but fearing what may lurk in the castle.

I shook my head. How old was I? I rolled my eyes, right, didn't know that. Still, I knew I was too old for childish fears of monsters lurking in the dark. I looked down at the glowing liquid trail again, wondering how it got there. Then I wondered about the perposterous idea of someone making the trail for me to follow. My rational self told me it was probably my past self who left it there, as it ended where I woke up, but  my rational self couldn't explain much else, so I ignored it and decided I would follow it. I mean, if it lead no where, it would be a simple task to follow it back.

I followed it to the other side of the room, through an arched doorway and into a wide, spacious corridor. A cupoard sat on one side of the room, a few small tables lined the walls. Another suit of armor stood tall, and plain wooden doors sat evenly on each side. I took a step into the hall, and one of the doors burst open, a gust of wind blowing papers all over. I stood staring in shock, it had completely caught me by surprise. I felt my heart's rapid beating gradually slow down, breathing deeply to calm myself. How much of a scardey-cat was I? Was I usually like this? Sighing yet again, I dared another step. When no doors open and no one jumped out at me, I continued on. 

 I decided to explore everywhere, get a feel for this place. I really wanted to know about what had happened, who had lived here, why they left it. I opened the cupboard to my right, finding another tinderbox and pocketing it. I wonder if my curiosity had something to do with my occupation? These thoughts kept me busy as I tediously looked inside the room from which the wind came. 

Thankfully, it was quite well lit. Wine bottles sat on tables, a few chairs here and there. Another tinderbox, I put it with the others. Nothing else interesting, so I left, following the trail. Another cabinet, another tinderbox. I told myself that there may be parts of the castle that aren't so well lit, and I would then be thankful for my collection of tinderboxes then. The trail continued through an open door, and I followed it up the stairs, into another hall. This place just keeps on going. I thought.

Halfway down the hall, a loud sound shook the walls and I fell to my knees. My heart raced and I felt hollow with fear. After a moment, I willed myself back onto my feet. What was that? I tried to forget about it, but a nagging at the back of my (now throbbing) head told me I should be worried. I opened another cabinet, but this time there were no tinderboxes. I felt dismayed, denied of my right to tinderbox collecting. I rather enjoyed it, like that saying (at least I think it's a saying, 'less I have just made it up.) You never know how much you value something until you loose it. I trudged on down the hall, jumping when another door opened on it's own. 

"This place is crazy." I mumbled to myself, going into yet another room while working up the courage to explore that one. Inside it was dark, and I waited for my nightvision to kick in before I continued. Inside was littered with boxes and old papers, shelves covered in dust. Happily, I spotted a tinderbox on the second highest shelf. It was then I realised how tall I was, as I needn't jump nor stand on the tips of my toes to reach it. Content with myself, I pocketed the box and left the room.

I entered the next room, the door still where it had opened before. It all seemed normal, a few candles were lit, enough too see by. A few paces in, the lights suddenly went out and I started to panic. "For christs' sake..." I muttered, closing my eyes. It seemed to work, and I felt myself calm.

"This place is going to be the death of me." I wandered further into the now dark room. Unfortunately, after rumaging around, I left bearing no fruit from my labours.

Following the trail, I turned right into another room. A gust of freezing wind bit through the air, and I tensed as the lights, yet again, went out on me. Growling about the dark and the wind and my poor luck i stomped through the room. A small window was above a table, ontop of which was, to my greatest joy, a lantern! Greatfully, I picked it up. To the left was a chest, curiously I looked inside, and ended up pocketing another tinderbox. I practically skipped out of the room, continuing down the hall  until i found myself following the luminescent trail.

Upon entering the next room, the castle shook with another earthquake and that loud noise from before filled my head again. I took to crounching in the cornor, knees tucked under my chin, until it subsided. Inside this room was a furnace, fire crackling away inside and another cabinet. Another tinderbox in my jacket, I stood in front of the fire, warming myself. I hadn't realised how cold I was. 

This was getting boring, I had had enough of wandering around, I wanted answers. I wanted out. I entered the next room, not bothering to wait to see if anything was lurking inside. Immediately I felt my mind telling me I needed to go right. I looked over, seeing a table. On it was some oil which I used to fill my lamp, and a note. My hand lingered over it, my frail mind telling me to read it, but my instincts saying that it would have consequences. Gingerly, I picked up the piece of paper.